BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just filled up and did the math: 16.5 mpg for mostly city driving in my 330 stick. I'm not exactly Speed Racer here....but I've never gotten over 20 mpg on a tankful....

I have to face reality: I don't do mostly freeway driving ever...and 16-20 mpg isn't good enough for me anymore. So when this lease is up I'm getting a Prius or whatever is available in the high mpg range. And yes I'm going to miss my BMW but until BMW comes up with a better solution I feel it's irresponsible for me to drive a car that gets poor fuel economy when there are 30-50 mpg alternatives out there.:bawling: It's not just the money or the politics or the environment.....it's a little bit of all three.

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
MARCUS330i said:
Just filled up and did the math: 16.5 mpg for mostly city driving in my 330 stick. I'm not exactly Speed Racer here....but I've never gotten over 20 mpg on a tankful....

I have to face reality: I don't do mostly freeway driving ever...and 16-20 mpg isn't good enough for me anymore. So when this lease is up I'm getting a Prius or whatever is available in the high mpg range. And yes I'm going to miss my BMW but until BMW comes up with a better solution I feel it's irresponsible for me to drive a car that gets poor fuel economy when there are 30-50 mpg alternatives out there.:bawling: It's not just the money or the politics or the environment.....it's a little bit of all three.
Pretty sad for a 3 series to suck that much gas. My 6 with a V8 gets 19/26. My previous 330 vert got about 19 in the city.

What do you think is causing the poor mileage? I can't imagine it is just the tranny. :dunno:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I couldn't agree more. The only thing keeping me from buying a BMW is the poor mileage. The new 3 series is (to me) perfect in every aspect and I want one so bad, but without a hybrid option or at least a more fuel efficient 325/328 non-sport I can't justify buying a car when there are alternatives that get almost triple the gas mileage. Most Prius owners I have talked to average 55 mpg. I love luxury, but I also love efficiency.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
MARCUS330i said:

Perhaps your next car should be a 325 with steptronic :) What does the car computer say you MPG is BTW?

I would skip the trendy Prius and maybe get a diesel.

·
Registered
827 Posts
The Direct Injection N53 engines will be getting much better mileage, in the 30+ mpg range. This is another reason why I hope BMWNA sees the logic of a 325/330/335 lineup, with the 325 equipped with the 2.5l DI. Diesels would also be great, a 320D E90 has comparable fuel efficiency to the Prius, and is a lot more fun.

·
Registered
158 Posts
adgrant said:
Perhaps your next car should be a 325 with steptronic :) What does the car computer say you MPG is BTW?

Steptronic doesn't really improve things too much. I average around 18 with a good mix of highway and city roads (leaning more towards highway). I rarely drive in DS.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've been thinking along the same line. You might expect a lot of "If you can afford a BMW, you shouldn't be worrying about the price of gas" but I think it does go beyond that argument to responsibility.

I wonder what mileage the new 335 will get? It could be hitting the market at a bad time with oil at > $78/ barrel/

BTW we have a 2006 Mini that doesn't get much better mileage than my 330.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
adgrant said:

My trip meter said 17.1 mpg vs my math. Maybe because of the hot weather I've been blasting the AC a lot. The tire pressure is good too....not sure why it's so low. But really 20mpg isn't much better.

A German diesel would be great too....hopefully BMW gets one to market. The emissions of the hybrids are quite a bit cleaner than even a modern diesel I reckon.

Eurocar said:
I've been thinking along the same line. You might expect a lot of "If you can afford a BMW, you shouldn't be worrying about the price of gas" but I think it does go beyond that argument to responsibility.

I wonder what mileage the new 335 will get? It could be hitting the market at a bad time with oil at > $78/ barrel/

BTW we have a 2006 Mini that doesn't get much better mileage than my 330.
I've read that the 335 is expected to get 2-3 mpg less than the 330. If that's the case there's no WAY I'm getting one. There's a point where the lust for torque and HP is overshadowed by the reality of the consequences of one's choices.

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
For me, if I wanted a high mileage car, I would opt for a Civic or Corolla or some diesel variant. Won't even both with trendy hybrids at this point.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I have been arguing for several years that a greener image is key to long term success in the NA market, a ton of new potential buyers that previously have not considered BMW. Just imagine the ads for the 320D. 50 mpg anyone? Who would have thought it possible in a BMW.

·
detour in Ingolstadt
3,180 Posts
alleycm said:
I couldn't agree more. The only thing keeping me from buying a BMW is the poor mileage.
Maybe you mean you don't want a car in the sport entry level luxury category--consider the competitors. Nissan and their one-engine-fits-all-cars-and-trucks 3.5L V6 gets like a 16/22 EPA rating in the G35. At least BMW loads this engine up with technology to produce mid twenties for a 325i, lows twenties/high teens for a 330i. Haven't checked out the economy on the Lexus IS but the 300hp and AWD 200hp models with automatic transmission can't be stellar.

I drive like a complete jerk and I still get 23.5 - 24mpg in mostly city, some highway driving on a 6MT 325i.

How come nobody on this board ever merits the 325i on fuel economy? It weighs 100 pounds less than 330i plus it has the "economy" intake manifold, saving fuel to the tune of 4mpg. The $4,000 you save over a 330i should buy about 75 tanks of gas giving you 30,000 miles in range.

Marcus - 330i got you down? Go 325i. Or you could limit yourself to one new BMW a year and that would offset the price of gas lol.

alleycm said:
I can't justify buying a car when there are alternatives that get almost triple the gas mileage.
That's plain false. Drive like a normal person and you should see a real world 27mpg in your 325i. Even with my unreasonable driving style, there are no cars that get even double my mileage real world. Prius will get you very high 30s: "In testing, our Prius delivered just 39 mpg."

In a Prius over a 325i you'd save about 220 gallons of gas a year driving 20k miles, or $750. Bottom line is buy the car you want, not the gas mileage hype.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I recently drove from North carolina all the way to Montreal Canada. According to trip computer, I averaged 75MPH with 29.6 MPG. I was actually quite impressed with the fuel consumption.

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
westwest888 said:
Uhhh, look at the competitors. Nissan and their one-engine-fits-all-cars-and-trucks 3.5L V6 for the G35 gets like 16/22 EPA rating. At least BMW loads this engine up with technology to get it up into the mid twenties for a 325i, lows twenties/high teens for a 330i.

I drive like a complete jerk and I still get 23.5 - 24mpg for my mostly city, some highway driving.

How come nobody on this board ever merits the 325i on fuel economy? It weighs 100 pounds less than 330i plus it has the "economy" intake manifold, saving fuel to the tune of 4mpg.
Truth be told the 3 series is a pig when it comes to gas. People scream about weight this, blah blah blah. I find it strange that a 5 series (non V8) gets the same mileage as a 3 series and that a 550/650 gets the same in the city as a 3 series.

I think every Z and 3 series should be over 30MPG. Not sure what the hold up is. :dunno: BMW keeps adding more horsepower but the mileage is not improving. Not when you consider the size of a Z coupe, Mini, etc. Tiny cars eating up lots of gas.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
it's your driving style that's causing the problem

I get average of 27 MPG on my 325 (given it's mostly freeway though)

get your foot out of the gas a bit, make sure your tires are properly inflated and your car will give you the advertised gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
also

read the article on edmunds.com about the real cost of a hybrid car

many hybrid cars cost 3-5 THOUSAND dollars more than the gasoline equivalents over 5 years

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
whiskey.org said:
also

read the article on edmunds.com about the real cost of a hybrid car

many hybrid cars cost 3-5 THOUSAND dollars more than the gasoline equivalents over 5 years
Is that before or after the tax credit? Hey, it's not just about $$ as I said in my first post.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That article is almost 2 years old. I was referring to the 2006 model Prius. I do realize the 325 gets better mileage than the 330, but I wonder what will happen with the new 328i sedan, especially since it is getting a slight horsepower increase.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
alleycm said:
That article is almost 2 years old. I was referring to the 2006 model Prius. I do realize the 325 gets better mileage than the 330, but I wonder what will happen with the new 328i sedan, especially since it is getting a slight horsepower increase.
they just came out with one about a month ago,

the lexus RX, ford Escape, toyota Highlander, Accord were big looser

the new prius was only about 500 more over 5 years

if you look at MPG the 330 is actually rated 1 mpg higher on the freeway and the same in town as the 325. so the 325 does not get better mileage than the 330, it's all about how much your right foot is in it

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
whiskey.org said:
they just came out with one about a month ago,

the lexus RX, ford Escape, toyota Highlander, Accord were big looser

the new prius was only about 500 more over 5 years

if you look at MPG the 330 is actually rated 1 mpg higher on the freeway and the same in town as the 325. so the 325 does not get better mileage than the 330, it's all about how much your right foot is in it
:stupid: Whiskey is correct here. The ONLY current advantage of buying a Hybrid is the feeling you are doing something good for the environment (even though it takes more fuel to destroy the extra batteries). There is NO cost savings to buying a Hybrid. At least not yet.

1 - 20 of 194 Posts