BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

17" Steel Wheels

5K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  CrazyBimmer 
#1 ·
There has been a lot of talk lately about whether or not you can get 17" steel wheels for the 330i/Ci/Cic. and how rare they are. Well the answer is, they are not rare at all. You can buy them from your local BMW dealiership.

Then you are all set for winter. I have told this to a few people in several threads, and figured it was just easier to tell everyone in on big 17" Steel wheel thread.

The part number is 36-11-6-750-254

and the price per wheel with a BMWCCA discount is $65.40

#2 ·
Thanks for the clarifying information. I want winter wheels but really didn't want to spend $1500 for alloy wheels and tires.

#6 ·
I don't have any pictures, but I've seen it in person...
just your regular looking stamped steel wheel, silver coloured. In other words, functional but doesn't look like it should be on a $40k car for longer than, say, 1-2 months of the year.

For just a bit more $, I'd pick some nicer but cheap alternatives from tirerack, eg. Mille Miglia's.

#8 ·
In Germany people put black steel wheels on their nice cars.

$50,000+ cars with crappy wheels on them are all over. That's what they run during winter but it would look really odd over here. Like you left the orange zone in Miami.

#14 ·
Shades said:
You can't use steel wheels on a M3.I'm not sure of the technical reason but ask your dealer ,you can't use them.You can probably get different alloys from a aftermarket wheel supplier.
I just wanted to clarify that. You may just have misquoted when you mentioned that the Type68 is the only wheel you can use for snow tires.

I think I've also heard something before about not using steel wheels(?).

#16 ·
ff said:

I just wanted to clarify that. You may just have misquoted when you mentioned that the Type68 is the only wheel you can use for snow tires.

I guess I'm left with with the only option of buying alloy wheels w/ snow tires and just letting them rot during the winter time huh?

#17 ·
ff said:

I'm sure you can use many different types of 17 inch alloy wheels.The 68M is the wheel that my dealer told me i had to use for the snow tire package for my M3 .In my opinion they look great on the car .They told me you can't use steel wheels on the car.I wouldn't want to put steel wheels on an M3 anyway.

#19 ·
Re: 17 Steel Wheels

goodfella said:
I have a 330i and will be putting 17" steel wheels and Nokian NRW H rated tires size 225/45/17 on my car for the winter.
where did you get steel wheels that will take a 225/45 tire? And why wouldn't you go with a tire that has a smaller width for the snow. It will handle better.

#22 ·
Nokian Tires

These were recommended by Steelcase Tires in Toronto and Nantucket tires in Toronto. Both about $1299 plus taxes. I had never heard of these tires but have since read very positive reviews on the net. Both tire stores said they would last much longer than the Blizzaks or Alpins. The size was also recommended but my dealer said they had 205/50/17 pirelli W210s.

#23 ·
I called my dealer, 73.57 for the steel wheels w/ CCA discount, plus 13.57 for center caps. Why do we need center caps? I am not sure they are worth it, especially with the Tirerack deal (1022 for Sport Edition Valore and Blizzacks), you only save $160 for really ugly wheels with Blizzacks. Just my thoughts.

#25 ·
Hey Daniel! Thanks for the info, once I get a job I think this is what I am going to go with. I want the black ones, I think they'll look "tough!" :) Any pictures of yours with the rims? Chat with you soon!

#26 ·
I'll take some pictures

Once it starts snowing. I'm guessing a month or so. I'm not putting them on just to post pictures...sorry.

Plus, there is not point in throwing them on when there is no snow..they wear quick on dry pavement.

JR...Call me tuesday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.