BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 330i that I just picked up in August, and I live in Indiana (which can get a decent amount of winter weather). I am looking at my options for winter tire / wheel options. Is it possible to put 17" wheels on a 330i with the sports package as I've heard conflicting information from different people. It seemed as if the issue was supposedly in the clearance of 17's over the brakes. I would much rather have an entire winter setup so I can change them myself instead of trying to switch tires twice a year on my 18" wheels.

· Registered
66 Posts
Your dealer or possibly Tire Rack should know for sure, but your owner's manuel specs that the 330i with sports package can handle 225/45 R 17 tires. The 325i with sports package can handle 16 inch wheels and tires (225/50 R 16) that are not mentioned for the 330i. Since all 330i models, with or without sports package, have the same brakes, and the manual represents they can accept 17, 18, and 19 inch wheels and tires, I would conclude that at least some 17 inch wheels will clear the brakes.

· owned
218 Posts
I have a 2006 330i that I just picked up in August, and I live in Indiana (which can get a decent amount of winter weather). I am looking at my options for winter tire / wheel options. Is it possible to put 17" wheels on a 330i with the sports package as I've heard conflicting information from different people. It seemed as if the issue was supposedly in the clearance of 17's over the brakes. I would much rather have an entire winter setup so I can change them myself instead of trying to switch tires twice a year on my 18" wheels.
i have the sport package on mine with 17" wheels. its a 325 but the sports pack has the same brakes on the 325 and 330 im pretty sure of. ill sell you my 17" ones with the tires in my sig pic if you want them!

· Registered
1,642 Posts
Uh, no - it doesn't. Check the part numbers.

i have the sport package on mine with 17" wheels. its a 325 but the sports pack has the same brakes on the 325 and 330 im pretty sure of. ill sell you my 17" ones with the tires in my sig pic if you want them!
To the OP: tire rack is a great resource, they will show you what wheels will fit. This subject has been beaten to death, but that is always the basic answer.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ran 225/45/17 at all four corners last winter with no problem. I have the sport package and it worked out really well.
What wheels did you put them on?

I live in the Indy area, but home is 30 mins from the South Bend Tire Rack and would likely get the wheels installed right there. I was looking at the Sport Edition A7's. They aren't the most stunning wheels out there, but I'm not really that concerned for a cheap(er) winter set.

My 2nd question - I have a line on a cheap set of 235/45/17 Blizzaks, any idea if the slightly increased width would work on this setup?

· 40 Oz. to Freedom
182 Posts
Indy here also...I don't have a 2006 330i but my brother did before he traded it in. He has 17's wBlizzacks on his for winter. I think they were M5 replicas. He got them from Discount Tire.

· Registered
206 Posts
I will suggest the set up I have assuming 330i and 335i with sport package are similar.

17x8 Rial Salerno Silver with 225/45-17 Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D XL with BMW factory center caps. $1228 including mounting, balancing, lug nuts, center caps & shipping from Tirerack.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will suggest the set up I have assuming 330i and 335i with sport package are similar.

17x8 Rial Salerno Silver with 225/45-17 Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D XL with BMW factory center caps. $1228 including mounting, balancing, lug nuts & shipping from Tirerack.
Wow, those Rials look very sharp on your 335i. I would have never thought twice about them based on the stock picture on Tire Rack, guess the center cap adds quite a bit of sexiness! These are $118 a piece discounted right now, think I could afford to spend $3 more per rim :thumbup:

Still wondering about the 235 width... I could pick up a great set of tires for ~200 and save quite a bit

· Registered
4,263 Posts
I think I had to choose between 215 and 225, but Tirerack recommended 225. They just hook and go! They look good in person and very easy to keep clean.

[MG]http://torno.smugmug.com/photos/647728895_LNDRy-M.jpg[/IMG]
Wow, I'm glad you posted pics as I'm considering that exact setup. Really does look sharp on the E90.

Thanks. :thumbup:

· Registered
1 Posts
doc,

I have a 2006 330i (build date March 2006), manual with the sport package. I purchased my winter wheel / tire package from the Tire Rack. My setup uses 17" x 7.5", ASA JH3 wheels and 225/45HR-17 Dunlop Winter Sport 3D tires (not run flats). These wheels fit perfect with no centering rings and they use the stock lug bolts. No problems with tire pressure monitoring, just initialize it after you mount your wheels. I live in central New England area and no problems.

· Registered
270 Posts
What wheels did you put them on?

I live in the Indy area, but home is 30 mins from the South Bend Tire Rack and would likely get the wheels installed right there. I was looking at the Sport Edition A7's. They aren't the most stunning wheels out there, but I'm not really that concerned for a cheap(er) winter set.

My 2nd question - I have a line on a cheap set of 235/45/17 Blizzaks, any idea if the slightly increased width would work on this setup?
I have the same setup as dobbs330 in his post. I'm not positive but I think the A7 is the replacement for the ASA JH3 wheel that I have. Just like him, no problems with fit or clearance. I don't think you'd have a problem with the 235 width on those wheels.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.