BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

175.000 miles

1041 10
Did the Oil Separator and Valve Cover Gasket this weekend.

It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it might be. 6 hours on Friday to do the oil separator and another 2 hours Saturday to finish with the valve cover gasket.

Here's a pic of the top end with the valve cover off.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Nice going, Chuck !

Your surgically-clean engine bay is an inspiration to the rest of us :thumbup:
Charles,

Man, your are OCD about your engine bay, just like me! Looks great! Time to take it on the road that goes around Round Valley Reservoir. I used to take my motorcycle up there back in the day. Once I hit Cherry Street, it was game on!
Did you have a slow engine oil leak that never dripped on the ground?
Nice mileage milestone.

Did the Oil Separator and Valve Cover Gasket this weekend.

It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it might be. 6 hours on Friday to do the oil separator and another 2 hours Saturday to finish with the valve cover gasket.

Here's a pic of the top end with the valve cover off.
Charles,

Man, your are OCD about your engine bay, just like me! Looks great! Time to take it on the road that goes around Round Valley Reservoir. I used to take my motorcycle up there back in the day. Once I hit Cherry Street, it was game on!
I assume your username has something to do with the Solberg VOR? I like running 512 from Califon to 206 and back. One of the best roads anywhere.
Thanks for the kind words Bob, SJ, and Todd.

Rover - yes I've had to add oil between oil changes. Sometimes one quart, sometimes 2 quarts. It's not a constant thing so I'm wondering what will happen now.
There was a leak on the passenger side of the engine. Oil would dribble out and hit the exhaust manifold. But it's not leaking now. We took her on a test run to NYC for dinner last night and it's running perfectly. And the oil smell is gone so I assume the leak is fixed.
I would eat a sandwich off your valve cover anytime.... :D
Thanks for the kind words Bob, SJ, and Todd.

Rover - yes I've had to add oil between oil changes. Sometimes one quart, sometimes 2 quarts. It's not a constant thing so I'm wondering what will happen now.
There was a leak on the passenger side of the engine. Oil would dribble out and hit the exhaust manifold. But it's not leaking now. We took her on a test run to NYC for dinner last night and it's running perfectly. And the oil smell is gone so I assume the leak is fixed.
Nice looking engine bay.

This weekend I changed the belts (still looked great), PS reservoir, and I'm about to do replace the spark plugs.

150K miles on it
I made sure I used brake cleaner and a cloth to clean all the oil leakage on my exhaust manifold heat shield before putting the cover back on. I think that's the source of the burning oil smell in my cabin. Now it's just about all gone! I've done a couple soapy engine shampoos after doing my VCG.
That's the only public road where I actually had the nerve to get a knee down. When we went up there, if our run got blocked by traffic, we would actually go back and do it again, sometimes repeatedly.

Nice looking engine Chuck. Glad it all went smooth this weekend. And dinner in NYC looked tasty.
Charles,

a lot of nj folks I see.. I'm in Bloomsbury, kinda close to Annandale. Like 20 mins up 78.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.