BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
pay it forward
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just got a great deal on a set of 18" BBS wheels with Michelin Pilot Super Sports on them. These will become my summer tire and I'm sure I'm going to love the look of the 18"s so much that the 17"s may never go back on. The OEM size wheels are 17". Bolt pattern is the same 5 X120. Not sure about the actual rubber specs (should have got them before i posted but it is dark and cold here in NE right now!) but does anyone know off the top of their heads if spacers will be required? I'm thinking not but just didn't know if anyone knew off the top of their heads:thumbup:

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
5,844 Posts
Bolt pattern just tells you if they can be properly fastened to the car.
17" to 18" is referred to as "+1" and again is irrelevant to your question assuming the new tires have a lower profile to keep the same rolling diameter/circumference or else your speedo will need reprogramming and you may have other problems.
What would need to be known about if you need spacers (or if they will even fit) is the width of the wheel and offset or backspacing. Spacers will keep it from rubbing on the shock if the offset is too big but there are no negative spacers to stop rubbing on the fender when the offset is too small (or the wheel is TOO wide).

sent from the future using the bimmerfest app embedded in my neural implant

·
pay it forward
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I plugged the wheel into tire rack it came up as fitting but I’m not sure about the offset. I think it would be bigger than smaller. If smaller then I am kind of screwed! Thanks for the reply

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
pay it forward
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
18" BBS's for 08 328xi E91

Looks like the offset is 38mm and the tire on it is 235/40. So the profile is lower on the 18”. I just know if it’s going to be accurate. Looking like the rubber may need to be 225/40 not 235. So in that case a spacer may be exactly what I need? Edit: looks like many of old threads with people running this size set up on their vehicles! Yay. I just love the forged BBS’s and can’t wait to put them on in the warmer weather

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Looks like the offset is 38mm and the tire on it is 235/40. So the profile is lower on the 18”. I just know if it’s going to be accurate. Looking like the rubber may need to be 225/40 not 235. So in that case a spacer may be exactly what I need? Edit: looks like many of old threads with people running this size set up on their vehicles! Yay. I just love the forged BBS’s and can’t wait to put them on in the warmer weather
Yes, the OE size for 18s is 225/40 but I suspect with that offset you will have no troubles with 235/40s. :thumbup:

Forged? Which BBSs did you buy? Pics please!

·
pay it forward
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BBS RGR and even if they are fakes the rubber on them was worth the price alone. Pics coming!

·
pay it forward
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I lucked out.These were from a fellow enthusiast. I didn’t know it at the time but when I went to pick them up, there was evidence in the driveway and garage. Phew

1 - 9 of 9 Posts