BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
F30 Driver
2018 BMW X5 (F15) xDrive35i
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

It's been a while since I've been on here. As my username implies, we had a CPO 2014 F30 328i xDrive Luxury Line Sedan. Unfortunately, a few weeks ago, that vehicle was totaled due to a side collision (we were not at fault, no airbags deployed, and no one was hurt... the only reason that the F30 was totaled was due to the fact that it sustained extensive damage (although it was drivable from the accident, as we drove it to the repair shop).

Anyway, we purchased another CPO BMW (from the same dealership we bought the CPO F30 from) yesterday to replace the F30, and that BMW is a 2018 F15 X5 xDrive35i in beautiful Sparkling Brown Metallic. It's well-optioned, and one of those options includes wireless Apple CarPlay (2018 was the only year that an F15 X5 offered the iDrive 6.0 touchscreen system as well). I love the wireless Apple CarPlay, but my household is divided, with two of us having iPhones, and the other two of us having Android devices. I would love to be able to code in wireless (or at least wired) Android Auto, so that the other two of use can integrate our phones with the system. I have two questions about this:

1.) Can Android Auto (I don't care whether wired or wireless, as I don't have a preference) be coded into an iDrive 6.0 system with Apple CarPlay already factory-equipped?
2.) If Android Auto CAN be coded into the iDrive 6.0 system, how would I go about doing so (or how would a BMW dealer go about doing so, since I'll likely have it done there), and what would be the approximate cost of doing so?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I'm loving our new F15 X5 so far. :)

-Vince

·
Glfbggy
756 Posts
That ApplePlay is active means that the previous owner paid for the subscription. It is $300, but it was not 'Factory', only an owner paid installation which stays with the vehicle. To my knowledge there is no Android Auto Available. Check Connected Drive site to make sure. Mine does not show it.

Reactions: jarhed1964

·
I'd keep playing!
363 Posts
Depending on what shape my 2014 F15 is in by next year, I might add the Apple Car Play to mine. Bimmer tech (Retrofits, Upgrades and Parts for BMW | BimmerTech) makes a kit to retrofit that into older models and I think their kit includes Android as well as Apple. Because the cell carriers are going to do away with 3G, my traffic will stop working so this will be the only way I can continue to get it.

·
Glfbggy
756 Posts
the cell carriers are going to do away with 3G
I am still hopeful BMW will provide us an upgrade path forward. While my f15 is an '18, my f10 is a '14 and has 3G....

Reactions: z3RIFFRAFF

·
F30 Driver
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Depending on what shape my 2014 F15 is in by next year, I might add the Apple Car Play to mine. Bimmer tech (Retrofits, Upgrades and Parts for BMW | BimmerTech) makes a kit to retrofit that into older models and I think their kit includes Android as well as Apple. Because the cell carriers are going to do away with 3G, my traffic will stop working so this will be the only way I can continue to get it.
My X5 already has CarPlay. The primary driver has an iPhone, but when I drive it, I don't have the luxury of being able to directly integrate my Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G into iDrive using Android Auto.

·
F30 Driver
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am still hopeful BMW will provide us an upgrade path forward. While my f15 is an '18, my f10 is a '14 and has 3G....
I would assume my F15 has 4G LTE (no car has 5G yet). My old F30 had 3G, but something about 2013 and prior models had to be upgraded even further if you wanted to use the "Connected Car" features. We also have an older E60 5 Series that could possibly have analogue service. I remember paying for it when we first bought it, but we eventually received a letter in the mail from BMW saying that they will no longer support it, and thus would be cancelling our subscription and refunding us. The F30 just made the cut with not having to upgrade any hardware to work with ConnectedDrive. BMW will likely continue to support the iDrive 6.0 and higher systems for a good while. Whether that means being able to add Android Auto or not is beyond me, though.

·
F30 Driver
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That ApplePlay is active means that the previous owner paid for the subscription. It is $300, but it was not 'Factory', only an owner paid installation which stays with the vehicle. To my knowledge there is no Android Auto Available. Check Connected Drive site to make sure. Mine does not show it.
This was an early CarPlay-equipped F15, which means that they don't charge for it. BMW did away (as did Toyota with the Supra's "iDrive" system) with paid CarPlay. The SiriusXM was still active, but we added it onto our SXM account, since we pay for an enjoy satellite radio. Android Auto is JUST starting to be added onto BMW's this year, but may just be an iDrive 7.0 feature. Hopefully it will eventually be able to be added, as I believe CarPlay can be added on the iDrive 5.0 system via coding (which is what I hope is able to happen with the Android Auto). We had a 2020 Volvo XC90 for a rental while we were shopping for the F15, and that had both systems (Apple CarPlay AND Android Auto). They weren't wireless, though.

·
Glfbggy
756 Posts
I would assume my F15 has 4G LTE (no car has 5G yet). My old F30 had 3G, but something about 2013 and prior models had to be upgraded even further if you wanted to use the "Connected Car" features. We also have an older E60 5 Series that could possibly have analogue service. I remember paying for it when we first bought it, but we eventually received a letter in the mail from BMW saying that they will no longer support it, and thus would be cancelling our subscription and refunding us. The F30 just made the cut with not having to upgrade any hardware to work with ConnectedDrive. BMW will likely continue to support the iDrive 6.0 and higher systems for a good while. Whether that means being able to add Android Auto or not is beyond me, though.
It appears you have the '18 f15. If this is the case, yes you have 4G. I do not believe BMW added 4G in the '16 or perhaps '17 model year. The '13 and earlier cars had 2G which was sunset by carriers in the US in January 2017.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts