BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1800 miles on '05 ZHP. This is what has changed...

1155 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  marvelphx
1. After retraining my brain for 1800 miles (about 2 months) I can finally shift smoothly 1-2, and 2-3rd. Have not mod. the CDV but I did add a 10M bolt to stop the clutch pedal from going to the floor (that helped a lot but still it took some more getting used to the timing of gas vs clutch release). BTW, I've been driving stick for 25 yrs....

2. The ride has smoothed out a bit. Perhaps the shocks/springs/tire walls have settled and softened up just a tad, which is a welcomed change.

3. The cold engine rough idle problem is a bit more pronounce. Either wait 1 minute warming up the engine or keep revs around 2k while driving out the first 1/2 mile.

4. The brakes feel more catchy
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
don't wait

get rid of the freakin' CDV!! Reward your 25 years of driving skill with a manual. I would think your patience would have run out by now. I did it at 800 miles and thanks to roadfly for the heads up on this. :rolleyes:

The car is barely broken in. one more thing.... keep that oil clean and let her really warm up before gettin' on it.
once you are through this, rev hard with joy! :thumbup:
I've got just over 2000 miles on my 05 ZHP here are my observations.

In casual shifting, ie less than 4000 RPMS, this thing is as smooth as butter! I also have a DIY clutchstop - which was in my opinion the GREATEST mod ever - well worth the 2 dollars. My only complaint is that the shifter still feels a little notchy sometimes. It's almost as if the clutch hasn't completely disengaged or something. But I'm sure that's not it - otherwise the car wouldn't be starting (clutch not in far enough). Other than that, the car is simply a dream to drive. It's so smooth, people are always telling me how smooth the car feels - even with the stiffer suspension. I haven't noticed the idle being too rough though. Maybe because it's nice and warm here in Texas
Try Redline D4 ATF fluid, especially if you plan to keep her for a while.
icemanjs4 said:
I've got just over 2000 miles on my 05 ZHP here are my observations.

In casual shifting, ie less than 4000 RPMS, this thing is as smooth as butter! I also have a DIY clutchstop - which was in my opinion the GREATEST mod ever - well worth the 2 dollars. My only complaint is that the shifter still feels a little notchy sometimes. It's almost as if the clutch hasn't completely disengaged or something. But I'm sure that's not it - otherwise the car wouldn't be starting (clutch not in far enough). Other than that, the car is simply a dream to drive. It's so smooth, people are always telling me how smooth the car feels - even with the stiffer suspension. I haven't noticed the idle being too rough though. Maybe because it's nice and warm here in Texas
iceman: I am pretty sure that is the interior of my Project Car in your avatar... ;)
I am pretty sure you are right :) I lifted it from you. You had the only picture of a NB car with Silver Cube Trim that I could find on a sedan. I was mad at you - becuase you didn't have any more pictures posted on your writeup!!! Do you have pics of the finished product?
marvelphx said:
iceman: I am pretty sure that is the interior of my Project Car in your avatar... ;)
Pics of the car now??

Something like this?

Attachments

HOT!

Hey man, you need to chime in on the swaybar thread and give your feedback on the UUC Swaybarbarians. I've read your site many times and I think your insight will be helpful to others looking for sways.
marvelphx said:
Pics of the car now??

Something like this?
I was already there and posted.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.