BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I were to replace the 17s on my E46sedan with 18s or 19s, would I need to do any other modification to the suspension to compensate for the new wheels?

Thanks!
 

·
Rest in peace, Coach
Joined
·
9,106 Posts
Depends on the width of the wheel. If you can probably go all the way up to 22" if you want without any suspension modification, as long as you stay within 8.5" wide I think...9" or wider may require fender rolling.

Also be sure you get the proper tire profile to match your wheel size, otherwise, if your overall diameter changes then you may need to do a lot more work to compensate for that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The HACK said:
Depends on the width of the wheel. If you can probably go all the way up to 22" if you want without any suspension modification, as long as you stay within 8.5" wide I think...9" or wider may require fender rolling.

Also be sure you get the proper tire profile to match your wheel size, otherwise, if your overall diameter changes then you may need to do a lot more work to compensate for that.
How can I find out if the profile is going to be the same? When you say a lot of work are you refering to calibration of the speedo?

Thanks, we can always count on you for good info!
 

·
Rest in peace, Coach
Joined
·
9,106 Posts
Chipster said:


How can I find out if the profile is going to be the same? When you say a lot of work are you refering to calibration of the speedo?

Thanks, we can always count on you for good info!
Well, calibration of speedo is one thing. If your overall diameter changes over a certain percentage point, you'll need to re-align your wheels by adjusting the toe and camber angles...But that has to be a pretty BIG change though, like going from your 17" to monster truck size tires. :dunno:

Personally, I think those style 44s are one of the BEST looking wheels around.
 

·
King of Rear Clunks
Joined
·
12,903 Posts
Do a search here on my name and the word 'offset' or 'wheel diameter' and take a look at those threads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cliff3 said:
Here's a link to a useful Java based tire size calculator
Hey that's pretty cool. I compared the tire size suggested by Tirerack.com for the wheels and it made the perfect recommendation!

225-45-17 are equal to
225-40-18

I wonder what the new tire size will do for the ride? Will it be more harsh? Less sidewall usually means a stiffer sidewall and less roll/absorbancy...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The HACK said:


Personally, I think those style 44s are one of the BEST looking wheels around.
Do you think they are worth selling? If so, where would I list them, and what do you think a fair price would be? 1 has a nick in it (damn) but the rest are like new. Hand washed everyweek absolutly no break dust or hazing. I even waxed them a couple months ago....
 

·
King of Rear Clunks
Joined
·
12,903 Posts
Change in ride will mostly depend on the wheels and tires you end up choosing. I didn't notice any change in ride at all with the combo I got, but some tires ride softer than others, and heavier wheels tend to ride rougher as well.

44s with tires will sell for between $1000-1200.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top