BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
E39 legend
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will this size wheel fit on a 235/40 up front 2003 530i m sport?

·
Registered
112 Posts
That wheel protrudes 19mm more than your OEM 18x8 M-Parallel. Measure up. How low are you? How much camber? etc.

edit: meant to say 18x8, not 18x9

·
E39 legend
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do I upload pictures to the thread? I believe it's on stock sport suspension, camber is minimal

·
Registered
112 Posts
You'd probably be fine, but just take a measure to see where that puts the lip of the wheel anyways. Then use your judgement on how much you will be loading and compressing the suspension.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Your profile says you have a 6 cylinder M-Sport so I assumed you were outside the US. Then I noticed your location.

Run the VIN and you will find out that you need to change your garage to not say that you have an M-Sport. I don't understand why tons of owners automatically assume they have an M-Sport. I gave you wheel specs for an M-Sport which is not your model.

So disregard all of what I said about the distance it sticks out and whatnot. I still think the wheel in question will fit fine based on what I know from M-Sport fitment.

·
E39 legend
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've ran my vin before and it does say m sport. Also have the M bumpers, fender liners, the whole 9. Why would being in the US mean my 530 isn't M sport?

·
E39 legend
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How can I send you a picture of my car to show ride height?

·
Registered
112 Posts
My mistake, I have never seen a 6 cyl M-Sport in the USA. Only the V8 models are what I've seen during my search for an M-Sport. Saw tons that advertised as M-Sport, but they were not.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
112 Posts
You are on M-Sport II suspension I believe. That's high enough to fit the wheels. I just didn't know if you were lowered with aftermarket parts.

I just went to measure my 18x8 M-parallels. It takes 32mm to become completely flush on my car's camber setup which is in OEM spec. The 19mm you will be protruding past should be safe enough for you on stock setup.

To upload pictures you can attach them from the "Go Advanced" button. Scroll down and you will see the "Manage Attachments" button.

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
This is what we're left with when the "Marketing" department screws up stuff.

The "M-sport" & "sport pkg" nomenclature is a mess...along with the new model & engine nomenclatures that don't mean anything anymore.

To the OP...most BMW enthusiast has a general concept of what an M model is, what a M-sport model is, and what a model is that has the "sport pkg" option. Unfortunately, BMW's marketing department has tossed all that out the window...and they call it what they want to call it.

In most markets, the e39 M-sport pkg (among owners) is a model that has some extra bits taken from that model platform's M vehicle. You may have some suspension parts and definitely some cosmetic parts that are M badged.

Then there are the models in a platform that have a "sport pkg" option...which may include a sport tuned suspension, perhaps different rear end gearing, plus some cosmetic parts thrown into the mix.

You can see in the chart below how the actual suspensions can vary. The I6 models may have a sport suspension (and even some similar body & cosmetic parts)...but DO NOT share any suspension components with the M model. But the V8 M-sport pkgs actually do share some suspension parts as the M5. These M suspensions are also sometimes referred to as M suspension 1 or M suspension II:

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Hi,

I've been running 9.5x19 ET22 all round on my E39 Touring for many years now. No problems here, so I'd say yes, an 9.5x18 ET20 on standard/sport suspension and brakes will be fine.

Cheers, Dennis!

·
E39 legend
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is what we're left with when the "Marketing" department screws up stuff.

The "M-sport" & "sport pkg" nomenclature is a mess...along with the new model & engine nomenclatures that don't mean anything anymore.

To the OP...most BMW enthusiast has a general concept of what an M model is, what a M-sport model is, and what a model is that has the "sport pkg" option. Unfortunately, BMW's marketing department has tossed all that out the window...and they call it what they want to call it.

In most markets, the e39 M-sport pkg (among owners) is a model that has some extra bits taken from that model platform's M vehicle. You may have some suspension parts and definitely some cosmetic parts that are M badged.

Then there are the models in a platform that have a "sport pkg" option...which may include a sport tuned suspension, perhaps different rear end gearing, plus some cosmetic parts thrown into the mix.

You can see in the chart below how the actual suspensions can vary. The I6 models may have a sport suspension (and even some similar body & cosmetic parts)...but DO NOT share any suspension components with the M model. But the V8 M-sport pkgs actually do share some suspension parts as the M5. These M suspensions are also sometimes referred to as M suspension 1 or M suspension II:

Just ran my vin to double check, it says M sport suspension option #704

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
Just ran my vin to double check, it says M sport suspension option #704
I have no doubt in that is what it "says"...but just to clarify...what you have installed on your e39 is just as it is listed on the chart above...it too says M sport pkg (for the I6, V8, and M5)...but you can see that the shocks used is not the same shock that is used on the M5 and the e39 V8s with the same "named" M sport pkg.

And if you run the part nbrs for your suspension (using your VIN)...and then compare that to the suspension parts used on the M5...they, too will have differences.

For the most part...e39 aficionados...will have an understanding of which models have sport pkg options (regardless of what BMW's marketing dept calls them)...and the models that actually have some suspension parts taken from the M parts bin...and other cosmetic items that are from the M parts bin...or items designed slightly different but inspired by items from the M parts bin (like the front bumper). :)

Another example is...in the US market...the 2003 540i/i6 are the ones that are referred to as having the "M-sport pkg" due to it having more parts actually from the M5...vs the earlier models that also have the "sport pkg" option...which on the paper work says "M sport"...but do not have anything suspension wise from the M5...and are only relegated to steering wheels, wheels, and perhaps a few other cosmetic features with ///M badging etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts