BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been driving a 2007 335xi with 18" sport wheels and summer tires. I am getting ready to purchase a new 3 and wonder how 19" rims with summer tires would compare to what I have had? Is it worth it? Will it degrade ride quality or enhance it? Can anyone with experience riding on both provide some guidance-Thanks.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I had 18's on a 2008 E92 and I have 19's on my 2009 E92. I don't notice much difference. On on decent road the ride is the same. The 19's seem a bit more harsh on rough roads. I think the 19's look much better!

·
Officially Contaminated
3,052 Posts
I think the 19's look silly. Too big for the 3.
+1. Not a big fan of anything over 18" on a 3 series. 19" wheels on an M3 look OK because the brakes are big and fill the wheel for the most part but not on the 335 or 328. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I think the 19's look silly. Too big for the 3.
I guess I feel the opposite. On my 2008, I instantly regretted not getting the 19's. All I could see was "wheel well". And I like the look of the Style 230's better than the 189's.

·
Officially Contaminated
3,052 Posts
Well to comment on the ride quality, especially in New Jersey, it will be degraded no doubt. I hope you don't plan on taking the car into Manhattan with 19" wheels because you may not make it back off the island.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Manhatten would be a nightmare with 19's and runflats.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. You have answered my question. As I suspected the 19's may be more trouble than they are worth. I personally like the look, but manhattan is a frequent destination and I know all too well what you are implying. I only run the summer tires in the warm weather and have dedicated snows for the winter months which I am sure has saved me from a number of replacements. Thanks for the input.

·
detour in Ingolstadt
3,180 Posts
I have been driving a 2007 335xi with 18" sport wheels and summer tires. I am getting ready to purchase a new 3 and wonder how 19" rims with summer tires would compare to what I have had? Is it worth it? Will it degrade ride quality or enhance it? Can anyone with experience riding on both provide some guidance-Thanks.
I think the BBS style 17" wheels from the 328i coupe sport package are the nicest ones.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
19s on a non xDrive are ok, but you have to lower your car to make the 19s look good with the xDrive's ride height. Looks all silly if you don't. I was about to buy 19s, but decided to stick with the 18s.

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts
Thanks guys. You have answered my question. As I suspected the 19's may be more trouble than they are worth. I personally like the look, but manhattan is a frequent destination and I know all too well what you are implying. I only run the summer tires in the warm weather and have dedicated snows for the winter months which I am sure has saved me from a number of replacements. Thanks for the input.
If you drive in Manhattan with 19s you will almost definitely be replacing wheels and tires. I only drive in Manhattan to get to and from my house and have destroyed 5 tires and 1 rim in 25,000 miles. The worst incident was on Route 46 in New Jersey where I bent a rim and got a huge bubble in the tire when I hit a large pothole.

IMO 19s screw up the handling of the car and I am not the only persion that feels that way. For what it is worth the Lime Rock Club recently got an M3 that is primarily driven on the track (which is very smooth). When it is not on the track it is driven in the area (NW Connecticut) where the roads are in good shape. After a couple of weeks the 19s were pulled off and replaced with 18s at the request of Simon, the club driving coach. There are a few members here on Bimmerfest who have ridden with Simon on hot laps and can attest to his driving skill and expertise.

CA

·
GODSPD
2,249 Posts
It's negligible at best and has more to do with driver skills. I've seen M3 cars handle like crap in the hands of ignorance.
It's assuredly not negligible, especially on a track. The moment of inertia change is pretty extreme.

If you're not going to track it and have no issues with road quality, I think 19s are a much better looking option.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
It's assuredly not negligible, especially on a track. The moment of inertia change is pretty extreme.

If you're not going to track it and have no issues with road quality, I think 19s are a much better looking option.
The track,:yikes:, can't see the need to burn through my 50K faster than I should. Just local & country roads for me, leaving metro for into the city.:D

In all seriousness, track cars are probably a different animal all together where as the laws of physics can't be changed.

·
GODSPD
2,249 Posts
The track,:yikes:, can't see the need to burn through my 50K faster than I should. Just local & country roads for me, leaving metro for into the city.:D

In all seriousness, track cars are probably a different animal all together where as the laws of physics can't be changed.
You can't just say something is 'negligible' and give no frame of reference for which that applies ;)

18 v 19 is quite noticeable, even on the street, though.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
You can't just say something is 'negligible' and give no frame of reference for which that applies ;)

I've had both. 18" on my 328i and 19" now on my 335i w/o any noticeable problems in handling other than the occasional pothole(which I do have to avoid like the plague) or the occasional skip as a result of rough surfaces but that was also true of the 18's on a 135i I test drove as well.

Alas, must be the way I drive. :drive:

·
Officially Contaminated
3,052 Posts

It's certainly not a drastic change, although there is a difference. I=mr^2

18" Wheel: r=9" .... I=81m
19" Wheel: r=9.5" ....I=90.25m

So assuming the wheels weigh the same (which they wouldn't), you're looking at roughly 10% more rotational inertia from the larger wheel.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.