BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1979 528i

2334 3
I got this vehicle from a friends older aunt.this car has been in a barn since 1997,last inspected.It looks like the mice have chewed alot of the wiring in the engine. Odometer says 102,000 and the body is 85% free of any damage.The interior is also in pretty good shape considering.The oil pan will need to be dropped and cleaned and also the gas tank. I bought this for $600,is it worth investing a few thousand to get it running and cleaned up?
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
If you like classic BMW's it's worth it. they're great cars and built quite well. Before you start though, buy yourself a service manual. It will be very valuable in helping you determine what you have to do to this car to get it into shape. Evaluate all the systems that will need attention besides the obvious wiring issues. Brakes, ignition, electrical, cooling system, fuel system, exhaust, suspension, air conditioning, etc. should be carefully checked. If you decide against restoring the car, you can always part it out or maybe sell it as a parts car.
I got this vehicle from a friends older aunt.this car has been in a barn since 1997,last inspected.It looks like the mice have chewed alot of the wiring in the engine. Odometer says 102,000 and the body is 85% free of any damage.The interior is also in pretty good shape considering.The oil pan will need to be dropped and cleaned and also the gas tank. I bought this for $600,is it worth investing a few thousand to get it running and cleaned up?
IMO I would rebuild this car if it has more of a sentimental value. When mice are involved it is really hard to determine how extensive the damage is from plain sight. A complete tear down would need to be addressed. You are probably better off using this vehicle as a parts car.
I love a rebuild. Drive what you build - real pride of ownership. It doesn't have to be a must-do-now project, just make it good. Parting will leave you a lot of scrap and take ages.
Add this one to your garage IMO.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.