BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm fairly new to older BMW's so I apologize in advance for my ignorance! I just purchased this car from a close family friend who's had it since new. He took fairly good care of the car, but I'll be tinkering with it for several years I'm sure! First and foremost I've had to tear into the roof since the electric sunroof wasn't closing all the way. After narrowing the problem down (almost) to the lifting roof transmission I am still confused as to how the whole thing works. I guess I'll see after I install the new transmission if it works!

I'd like to take out both front seats for cleaning and some minor repairs to the seats themselves...how on earth can I get to the rear bolts for removal? :dunno:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man. Seems as though my height adjustments aren't working and of course they're both at the lowest setting. I'll have to figure out how to get them to work in order to get at the rear 2 bolts and finish taking out the seat brackets.

·
Registered
84 Posts
lol. so its a manual seat adjustements i guess, since its an old model and of course unless the previous owner hasnt upgrade the seats with the electronic option! it will be a lot easier if you spRAY some 4wd and get off the seat. with weight on the seat its harder to adjust ! hope it helps .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay here we go...not great pics, but I'm working on it! The dry one is when I picked the car up in Ketchikan, AK and the snow pics are from when I picked it up in Whittier, AK after she traveled up on the ferry. We're both happy and warm in Anchorage, AK now:)

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sunroof Repair

Thanks for the thumbs up guys! Anyone know of how I can get a base plate for my sunroof transmission? I've installed the new transmission, but it didn't come with the $3.00 base plate which holds the pinion in place. Every company I've company I've contacted says it's no longer available. Please suggest if you can!

It's item number 8 on the attached image. Part Number 54121857909

Attachments

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Thanks for the thumbs up guys! Anyone know of how I can get a base plate for my sunroof transmission? I've installed the new transmission, but it didn't come with the $3.00 base plate which holds the pinion in place. Every company I've company I've contacted says it's no longer available. Please suggest if you can!

It's item number 8 on the attached image. Part Number 54121857909
Try getbmwparts.com; I popped your part number in and I was able to add it to the cart. Of course shipping will cost 5Xs the part cost. :eek:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks man. I'll try that site as well, but it comes up available on penske and bimmer.com as well and then they email saying it's no longer available. I've thought about going to a machine shop, but in Alaska they like "bigger" jobs! lol

·
catso
3,163 Posts
Thanks man. I'll try that site as well, but it comes up available on penske and bimmer.com as well and then they email saying it's no longer available. I've thought about going to a machine shop, but in Alaska they like "bigger" jobs! lol
Try Pelicanparts.com, ECSTuning.com or email [email protected] (also a Bimmerfest sponsor).

·
Registered
177 Posts
My turn signal suddenly stopped working today. What could be the problem. Relay switch, bulb burned out, fuse? Brook
All of the above. By relay are you referring to the flasher?/ The one thing you missed is on the early, E12 chassis cars, all the lights and turn signals route through the emegency flasher switch. So if that is bad, it can and will affect your turns etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No turn signals are working, neither on the left side nor right. And the indicator on my dash does not work either. Think Bert may have a good bead on this, the hazard flasher switch is bad. SOOO, question, where can one buy a new switch, at an auto parts store in Denver perhaps???

·
Registered
177 Posts
You will probably not get that at a regular parts store. I may have a good one if you are interested. If I do, $35 plus $5 postage. When you say yours is bad, what makes that determination?/ Does the button not stay in(engaged) when depressed?? That would be the give away as to it's condition.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.