BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,
Take it easy on me and use small words please. I am not the most knowledgeable about cars.
I bought a 81 320i last fall as a project. It didn't run at the time. It wasn't even for sale but I saw it in someone's back yard every week on the way to golf league and it caught my eye. I paid $700. My brother knows quite a bit about cars and he was helping me but doesn't have the time anymore. So I need you.
Ok when I first purchased the car my brother helped me and he found that there was a gas leak at the fuel filter. There was no fuel pressure. I repaired the line and it ran ok after that. Well, I parked it all winter with little gas in the tank.
After some new gas and fuel system cleaner I started the car last week. BUT it bogs down when I give it gas quickly. If I slowly give it gas I can get the rpms up a little. It has no power. It also has an exhaust manifold leak my brother thinks. Sure if that has anything to do with the problem.
Any suggestions as to what the problem might be would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It could be simply a fuel pump relay and/or relay.if the battery is strong and just nothing but cranking is happening its not getting fuel. If its been sitting out back it will just take time to get back to lift. If not fuse issue, possible bad pump but less likely.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Old School
4,123 Posts
This is running the KJetronic systen which is (k)continious injection not in any way sequential. Pull any injector and see if you get a good spray of fuel when cranking. If yes check out the spark system. If no check out the fuel system.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It could be the mechanical fuel injector not operating correctly. Also check the fuel pump, I know that I have a leak in one of my filters so that could possibly cause bogging down.

·
Registered
48 Posts
What about the shifter? That's sounds like when you shift into a higher gear to soon. Does your shifter have a lot of slack? Cause mine does and sometimes it is hard for me to get the correct gear.

·
Registered
48 Posts
That is a beautiful car. I love the color and tires, are they 13" tires? Cause I was wondering if you can put a larger tire on instead of the 13" ones due to the limited producers of 13" tires. Thanks and again that's an awesome car :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks man.. Yes they are 13" you can go bigger rims with lower profile tires. That's what I wanna do. And some lowering springs. And tint the windows. And on and on and on..... Haha.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Very nice . Look clean. I recently was able to push my bumper in about 3 1/2" by drilling out the bumper piston shocks relieving the pressure and pushing it in and drilling screws into them so the bumper doesn't slide back out.
Looks way better

1 - 17 of 17 Posts