BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

my 535i stopped shifting into 1st 3rd and 5th yesterday without any real warning ahead of time. The day before I had thought that the car smelled a little strange but had written it off which proved to be a mistake. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of what it may be before I take it to a transmission guy and get had because I am a woman and I know around here they will take me for all I have got. I have a basic understanding of working on cars and my dad is a mechanic he just doesn't do transmissions so I think with some guidance from someone on here who knows more we could fix it maybe.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

-kayla-

·
catso
3,163 Posts
It's possible that there is a problem with your shift linkage, not in the trans internally. :dunno: But if you need another trans you should be able to find a used one. Your Dad could probably handle a trans swap, it's not terribly difficult. Start by sending member: south26 (Andy) a private message asking if he has one for sale. If he doesn't, he can advise you as to what other models of BMW you can get one out of. Lots of salvage yards and other sources of used parts including Craigslist, ebay, etc. Try this link for a comprehensive list of boneyards in North America: http://car-part.com/

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Sorry I do not have a tranny, but I am going to guess that the 2 bolts that hold the shifter plate have backed out of the tranny leading to you loosing 1,3,5. I had this happen also and it does just happen. It is an easy fix the bolts just need to have Loctite put on them and then put back in. By the way you should have a 265 getrag which is the best tranny that came in the 535i. It was only offered in 85, so they are a little hard to find. If I am wrong you can get a 260 getrag from 83-88(except 85), but you will also need the driveshaft.

If I am right it should not cost much to have the bolts tightened. If you were close I would do it for free.

Andy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you guys so much a bolt that holds up the linkage had fallen out and dropped the linkage. I appreciate your help. also random question but do you know anyone who might have a drivers side side view mirror for sale?

·
catso
3,163 Posts
thank you guys so much a bolt that holds up the linkage had fallen out and dropped the linkage. I appreciate your help. also random question but do you know anyone who might have a drivers side side view mirror for sale?
If Andy (south26) does not have one check out ebay, salvage yards (click the link in #2), or maybe even your local Craigslist. I bought a complete assembly on ebay a few years ago for about $20.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.