BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there folks :). I've got a question that I thought board members might be able to help with.
I bought a 1985 535i a couple months back and when I got it one of the first things I had to replace was the turn signal relay. Basically the right signal worked but the left would not. I've been driving the car regularly for two weeks and this morning I engaged the left signal and it made a funky noise, similar to the sound of a computer working really hard only much louder. Shortly after that BOTH signals quit working as did the wipers and the brights switch -- everything on my column. Also, it seems that the computer located up near my sunroof switches is out too.

Any thoughts on where to start looking for the problem, as this is obviously a recurring issue? Am I looking at replacing the whole column here?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Look at your fuse box, specifically number 5. If your car has an after market stereo unit, make sure it is not connected to the factory power wires. Fuse 5 is already heavily loaded and adding a high power head unit just makes it worst. Your car has an auxiliary fuse box (with two fuses) just to the side of the main box. One of this fuses has power all the time and the other one is switched so use it to power your radio.
As a measure of prevention, replace all fuses with new ones, clean and re-tension the fuse holders to ensure good contact.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts