BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all :). I happen to live in rural Missouri, just down the road from a renowned BMW engine rebuild shop. They deal in lots of BMWs and have one for sale that I'm interested in but I thought maybe the good folks here could help me assess whether or not this is a good deal. Keep in mind, I have no knowledge really of BMWs (other than the endless research I've done lately)...

Here's what I know: 1985 535i, 155xxx miles. It's red and shows no rust other than quite a few bubbles on the sun roof. This however, will be replaced. I basically bought the car for $1100 with an extra $200 thrown in for parts and labor and another $200 for tires and wheels. I've spent the last week trying to get the car inspected so its road ready but before that could happen I had to replace the turn signal switch, a few fuses, the sway bar, diff. mounts, tires (as mentioned), had an oil change, and replaced the front windshield. The body looks great --no dings or rust other than what I mentioned. Leather interior is nice as well. As far as I know the only remaining issue is that the starter needs replacing (that's being done right now) and I'll possibly need a new radio -- it's calling for it's code but the one from the dealership isn't cutting it. I happen to know the fellows at this shop and they've offered to include pretty much unlimited parts from their various parts cars (most of the replacements I mentioned came off said parts car) and free labor but their turnover time when working on vehicles is ridiculous...takes forever.

My question is this: am I getting a steal? Is this car worth my time? Keep in mind, I'll be driving it everyday here in town and will occasionally make a 200-300 mile trip but I'll only do that infrequently. Are there any others necessary repairs I should be on the lookout for? What are the downsides of a vehicle this age? I'd like to keep repair and maintenance costs down but have already put quite a bit of work in the car considering I've owned it for over a month and haven't been able to drive it. I realize however that most of this work isn't necessarily a big deal. And what is the resale value of this car, if any? Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to mention I'll also need to add a front valance as that's completely missing and that there must be some issues with the computer -- many lights stay on or don't seem to work, and some of the gauges are obviously faulty. Also, dashboard is cracked in numerous spots but from what I gather that's pretty common. Are there any specific requests for checks on the car I should ask for? Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
12 Posts
no dont transmissions in those go out you'll end up like me i have the same car and my automatic with all the crap you got to do to make it change gears makes it feel worse then a freakin manual

1 - 3 of 3 Posts