BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My passenger side heating/cooling housing outside air vent door will open but won't close when control lever is in the closed position. How do I fix that.
Thanks,
Steve

·
Premium Member
6,173 Posts
not totally sure what you mean.

1/ do you mean the vent inside the dash specifically for the passenger ?
2/ the one on the output of the heater box that directs air to all the middle dash vents?
3/ or the exterior one between the outside of the car and the air box, on the passengers side. ?

A1/ put a small screw driver or bread and butter knife between the dash foam and the top and bottom side of the vent and gently pry it out, will come out about 10mm or so before becoming loose. rinse and repeat on a parts car and then press fit your replacement in, making sure the ducting lines up with the back of the vent of course.
2/ dash out to fix. wont detail here, plenty of info online for dash removal
3/ there is no such thing on E30s unless they have aircon and the recirc button in the HVAC panel. unfortunately, even on those with this, i have never had a failure in all my years so i dont know repair proceedure. interestingly, in my experience cars without aircon have a far higher rate of blower fan failure.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1986 BMW 325 Chevy V8

Thanks,
It was A3. I found the problem was the arm mechanism that opened and closed the door was not attached and had broken off the door. It still pushed the door shut but can't open the door.
Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts