BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, its a 1987 325is, 164,000 miles, automatic trans.

I started having this issue after I drove it home the three hours it took from Grand Rapids.... I had a problem where the car idled fine, but under a load it would hesitate to pick up at all, I had to put the pedal to the floor to get the car to move and it would only move with high RPMs. So I got some advice from a few friends and I would up changing the oil, switching/gapping the spark plugs (Bosch..not the cheapo ones) , and fuel filter (hoping that it was either the plugs or a dirty filter causing the problem)....

....it wound up helping the problem but not fixing it completely. Now the car moves at lower RPMs but even when I put the pedal to the floor, the car is very slow, and takes a good quarter mile to get up to 55....especially going uphill. I checked for vacuum leaks and found nothing... the distributor wires are newer, and clean.

someone suggested my fuel pump was going out, but I always thought those went out completely..not gradually.

Someone help me please!??!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hello corbin09:
I had a similar issue with my 87' 325is back in the late 90's. While driving on the Ohio Turnpike for several hours I suddenly lost power. I knew something was seriously wrong. I dropped into the slow lane and struggled to maintain 55mph. I went to my indy shop, explained the circumstances, and left it there. As I am in Florida I don't have the record here but I recollect the mechanic saying a crankshaft(?) became defective which caused the loss of power( I was only running on 5 cylinders). The result:$1200 dollars in motor repairs. It was not due to lack of maintenance as I already had the car for approx. 3 years and was maintaining it well for daily driving. I would not know about the 2 previous owners. I still have the car clocking approx. 175,000 mi.
Just remember this was my case, it may not be yours.

·
Rather Large Member
4,553 Posts
When you say hesitate I'm thinking the car shudders.

Could be lots of things. Water in your gas tank will give similar symptoms, partially clogged converter, slipping automatic transmission, problem in your ecu, or simply a faulty coolant temp sensor. Among other things of course.

We need more specific details, to really help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts