BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys (and Gals)

Thanks so much for everything. I've been able to learn a lot about my salvaged 1989 325ic with 276,000 miles (a close estimate based on DMV records). She runs like a top and is in great shape (after a few repairs).

As with most, the odometer and a few gauges weren't working. I ordered the 101 SI board knowing I would need that as well as gears. Once I received parts I pulled the cluster. It appears that in it's 22 year existence, the cluster had been replaced and with what looks like an 86-87 325e cluster (check picture of SI board pins).

The question is will an 86-87 cluster work in an 89 and read accurately? The tach has always appeared to read high. Temp and MPG have never worked. Gas gauge reads empty with 8 gallons remaining. These things I figured were the SI board. If this cluster won't work with this vehicle, will the cluster from a 1991 325ix work (have a lead on one of them)?

I am assuming that my 89 originally had a coded cluster. Since I do not have the code plug, what's the best way to ensure I get a cluster that will read accurately?

Any help or ideas would be awesome!! Thanks again.

John

Attachments

·
Under the lift arms
13,263 Posts
Bump to top, I have a 87 325is, my vdo cluster has been repaired several times gears, pins and those battery on that board, hopefully someone helps u out more

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer App

·
old car nut
49 Posts
From what I understand your car has 2 pumps in the tank ( updated about late 87 )so the fuel gauge will be inaccurate from an early 87 back that had one fuel pump. The 91 should work to help with the gas gauge. I'm told that clusters with a blue plastic housing must be replaced with that same color, and white housings replaced with like color. The SI boards are specific to the color of the cluster housing I believe

·
On Top
8,772 Posts
From what I understand your car has 2 pumps in the tank ( updated about late 87 )so the fuel gauge will be inaccurate from an early 87 back that had one fuel pump. The 91 should work to help with the gas gauge. I'm told that clusters with a blue plastic housing must be replaced with that same color, and white housings replaced with like color. The SI boards are specific to the color of the cluster housing I believe
True, the colors represent the manufactures either VDO or MotoMeter. If you get a cluster from a 4 cyl car you just need to order a coding plug for your and swap it out. They only problem you will have with an M42 cluster will be the tach reading at 150% instead of 100.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well guys, everything is somewhat better. Got a cluster from an 89 325i and gauges are working like a champ...maybe too good. Damn Brake Lining light and Anti-Lock light are staring at me...might just have to lose a couple bulbs.

·
On Top
8,772 Posts
Well guys, everything is somewhat better. Got a cluster from an 89 325i and gauges are working like a champ...maybe too good. Damn Brake Lining light and Anti-Lock light are staring at me...might just have to lose a couple bulbs.
Or take your ABS relay apart and re solder the broken strand of wire on the side....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts