BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the dreaded fuel pump buzz on my 89 325i 2 door and its getting loud.
I pulled the in-tank pump out (under the back seat) and bench tested it and it sounds fine.

Via much googling I came across numerous references of having two fuel pumps. One transfer pump and one main pump. Is there one pump or two?

If I go to sites like Bav Auto and key in 89 325i it only shows one pump is available for purchase.

I'm confused. Can someone please confirm if there is one or two pumps. And if so where is the second pump? And if so where do I get one?

Many thanks in advance.

·
livin large
7,557 Posts
88 and newer has 1 pump i thought? but i dont know if those ones had that vibration damper in the line before the filter or not

·
Git
324 Posts
These cars are old.
Unless they are a low mileage garage queen, They have been thru the hands of at least one modder.
Get your knees dirty.
Kneel down by the Left rear tyre and look up just ahead of the tyre.
If there are two canisters lurking there, then there is an external pump, and one in the tank.
88up are supposed to have a single unit, but a 20+yo car may have had a rusted fuel tank that was back dated. Ergo a dual pump set up on an "88.
A lot of enthusiasts these day keep a parts car on the side to cannibalize.

m

·
Git
324 Posts
These cars are old.
Unless they are a low mileage garage queen, They have been thru the hands of at least one modder.
Get your knees dirty.
Kneel down by the Left rear tyre and look up just ahead of the tyre.
If there are two canisters lurking there, then there is an external pump, and one in the tank.
88up are supposed to have a single unit, but a 20+yo car may have had a rusted fuel tank that was back dated. Ergo a dual pump set up on an "88.
A lot of enthusiasts these day keep a parts car on the side to cannibalize.

m( 4/89 production date...single in-tank pump)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts