BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has all stock sound system other than the CD player which was profesionally installed. It is a Sony.

I am trying to replace the speakers by myself. The stock speakers on this car seem to have a individual tweeter, and sub. Tweeter on the uppper door near the window, and the little sub I believe is on the dashboard in the corner. The speaker I believe is the one to the left of where your feet are on the door. This is at least what the car audio guy told me.

I took out all three pieces on the Driver Front side, and installed the speaker in the door. I made my system focus on that side, but the sound was terrible. Real low, and had a lot of distortion. The distortion occurs when I turn the volume up "high" even though the output is low. The bass is really messed up. Sounds basically like a blown speaker. I stopped installing the rest figuring the same results would occur.

Do I have to figure out a way to get the tweeter wiring, the Sub wiring, and the speaker wiring all into one wire? Whats the problem basically?

The guy at tweeter insisted that all I had to do was plug it into the speaker and unplug the others and it would sound normal.

Thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts
basicly, things are going to sound funny until you replace the right components. BMW's speaker systems were not really meant to be able to just replace their components with after market gear.

soo... with that said heres some backround information about the stereo system in the E34's the front speaker system is inclusive with a tweeter(by window), a Mid (in dash) and a sub (located in kick panel) As for the rear, there are subs and tweeters in the rear c pillar, back dash. the speakers are all separately wired to the amplifier that is located on the drivers side behind the carpeting in the trunk. all of the signal is sent to this amplifier from the deck and is processed, sending the right frequencies to the right speakers. so as you can see. if you were to throw any type of speaker in there, the amplifier will send a frequency that is made to work with the factory speaker in that place, so something else will allow you to hear garbage....

so you basicly have a couple of options. it really depends on how much quality your trying to get from your stereo. option one:

you can leave all the original equipment in the car.

Option 2: you can have a stereo store do a rewire and remove the amplifier and use the power from your sony head unit to power new speakers. cost from store $100-$250.

Option 3: You can gut all of the existing equipment (speakers, amp, brakets) and run new amplifiers to the trunk and then drop new cable for the speakers,(factory cable is pretty weak)

i hope this was of some help to you

please respond with any questions. i love stereos.

plus, what are your goals here, decibel level, or clarity, mabey both..

·
Registered
174 Posts
Your speakrs are seperates. The sound is crossed over for each individual speaker. Check out bavarian auto sound for stock replacements

·
Registered
154 Posts
From what I hear, BSW makes a plug and play kit with all 10 speakers for like 500 bucks, I haven't heard em, but on bimmerforums, they got a good rating.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts