BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am new to this site. My name is Paul and I am from Las Vegas NV and Newport Beach CA

I know this is a common problem for the 850i. the seat is twisting and rubbing when it goes back. The same thing happened to my L6 as well.

How do I fix it myself? I know it involves removing the seat. The dealer charged us $800 for the L6. I do not mind taking it to the dealer but If i can do it myself why pay it?

The steeering wheel also seems to be 180 degrees out of whack? It goes down instead of up when the key is turned off and the door opened? Has anyone experienced this before?

Thank you

Paul

· Old Fogey
678 Posts
The seat can be repaired in the car.

the little stretch bag on the front of the seat pulls straight off.

The seat motor is right behind it.

two little screws on the motor hold each cable on.

Disconnect the cable on the side that doesn't work AFTER moving the seat back to flat.

If it is like mine, the drive cable inside the sheath you just disconnected is sticking out a ways. Have a RAG with you because it will be oily.

Push the cable back in to the sheath and rotate it until you feel it engage the hole in the seat drive. It should slide in farther now. push it in about 1/2 the distance it is sticking out.

Engage the loose end into the drive motor fitting and then reconnect the outer sheath to the motor. Should work now.

If it quits again fairly soon you may need to cut the ties between the seat cable and the electrical wires suspended from it. The wires may be pulling the drive cable out of line. If you do that put wire ties in to hold the electrical wires away from the seat tracks.

Steering wheel: There is a fuse in the left side of the trunk for it . Pull the fuse for about 20 minutes. That seems to work on most.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TerryY said:
The seat can be repaired in the car.

the little stretch bag on the front of the seat pulls straight off.

The seat motor is right behind it.

two little screws on the motor hold each cable on.

Disconnect the cable on the side that doesn't work AFTER moving the seat back to flat.

If it is like mine, the drive cable inside the sheath you just disconnected is sticking out a ways. Have a RAG with you because it will be oily.

Push the cable back in to the sheath and rotate it until you feel it engage the hole in the seat drive. It should slide in farther now. push it in about 1/2 the distance it is sticking out.

Engage the loose end into the drive motor fitting and then reconnect the outer sheath to the motor. Should work now.

If it quits again fairly soon you may need to cut the ties between the seat cable and the electrical wires suspended from it. The wires may be pulling the drive cable out of line. If you do that put wire ties in to hold the electrical wires away from the seat tracks.

Steering wheel: There is a fuse in the left side of the trunk for it . Pull the fuse for about 20 minutes. That seems to work on most.
THANK YOU Terry!

Very informative.

Paul
Las Vegas, NV

· Too many cars!
14 Posts
Hi Terry!
Incredible help. Did you used to participate in the users' group chaired by Paul Michael Brown?
This was one of the hints that he used to promote through this group.

We had an 850i (since sold). It had Dinan chips, a 6-speed, and rims from a Csi.

I believe that the 850 is a timeless coupe. I turn my head as quickly when I see one today as for the first coupe I saw.

Regards,
Dave L

· Old Fogey
678 Posts
I have only been in the 8 forum community for about two years. Had a 740 and was active on the 7 series boards worldwide for a year or so prior to the 8.

The PMB group was the stuff of legend among the longer term 8 owners. A lot of them are on Roadfly now. With the prices on the 8's as low as they are a lot of new owners are showing up everywhere now. The old community has been diluted a lot. I am really a Semi Newbie in that context.

I just relay what I have seen or Done in this case. I seem to be a collector and sharer of knowledge. My bookmarks show it too!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.