BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About 3 years ago my car had a cracked cylinder head. I had not driven it since this incident occured. I recently put a rebuild cylinder head on about a month ago. Now when I go to start it up it turns over nicely, but the engine wont fire. I replaced the fuel filter, cleaned gas tanks, replaced battery and put fresh fuel in, but the car still wont fire up . Volt-meter shows voltage with car ignition on for 6 coil wires. My father thinks it might be the 6 coils sitting 3 year without use and possible ECU (electronic control unit). Any suggestion?

·
Humble E34 lover
5,519 Posts
Hey Bimmerman. Welcome to the Fest. You may have a bad fuel pump or fuel pump relay. Testing both is relatively easy. Shoot me your e-mail in a PM and I will give you more info. I just recently had to replace my fuel pump relay. Piece of cake. $15 dollar part retail at the dealer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try taking out one of the spark plugs and see if your getting a spark when you try to turn it on.
Tried it already, no go. Pulled a plug and tried to spark one coil, still no go. Volt-meter tested electrical lines to each coil and had hot wires to all 6 with car ignition on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Bimmerman. Welcome to the Fest. You may have a bad fuel pump or fuel pump relay. Testing both is relatively easy. Shoot me your e-mail in a PM and I will give you more info. I just recently had to replace my fuel pump relay. Piece of cake. $15 dollar part retail at the dealer.
There is fuel pressure at the fuel filter when turning the car over.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On second thought you might be right. My father just told me not too long ago that there is no fuel is going through the line now. I guess the fuel we saw pouring out when removing the fuel filter was the old gas from years back.

·
Humble E34 lover
5,519 Posts
On second thought you might be right. My father just told me not too long ago that there is no fuel is going through the line now. I guess the fuel we saw pouring out when removing the fuel filter was the old gas from years back.
I was going to e-mail you a copy of the Benlty manual. It tells all about how to check the fuel pump and fuel pump relay.

You can get it at this link:

http://www.mikerophonerecords.com/bimmer/

This should help. Also, search for fuel pump relay or such and you should be able to find tons of info on how to troubleshoot and fix it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts