BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hood cable pooped yesterday. I'm pretty sure it's internal (under hood) as it seems to still be attached at the handle.
Any helpful info. on how to access the engine compartment without being able to pull the cable?
I found youtube videos on newer models, but not this old. I am wondering if popping out the grill piece will give me access, but just replaced one grill piece a few months ago and they tend to break easily so I am hesitant to do that and have to spend the money again if there is a different way.
Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
12,382 Posts
if the cable is broken under the hood then i am unaware of any easy way to get in.

going through one of the kidneys will avail nothing, at least not all by itself.

the cable runs under the left side fender, over the plastic fender well liner. if you were to remove that liner and clip the cable and remove some of the sheathing, you could try pulling the cable from there.

if it is, in fact, broken off (depending what/where) you may wind up pulling the cable out, in which case, you are looking at an extensive extraction process, which needs to be done anyway in order to do a proper repair to the latches.

i do not envy you this task....

df

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
everything I found for newer models seems to indicate going through the kidneys, but those cases also appear to have the kidneys built into the hood itself.
I can't find anything at all on models made prior to 1999 :dunno:

thanks for the reply. I like how you worked in the Swedish Chef!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts