BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've got big problems.
My 1994 325is as of lately has been having some overheating problems.
It started a few months back with the car only going in the red while in idle,
then randomly while I was driving it started overheating.

But most recently, while checking out of a campground I stayed in I noticed a huge puddle of coolant underneath the car,
wanting to get home, I thought nothing of it and proceeded to leave.

About half a mile down the road I realized on the dash that the temperature gauge was in the red and immediately pulled over.
After popping the hood, I noticed the Expansion Tank to the left of the Radiator was steaming hot and was fizzing out coolant.

After about 10 minutes of cooling down I took the cap off to find the tank nearly empty.
I removed the bleed screw and poured a nearly full container of coolant into the hole and the tank.
Whenever I would squeeze the bigger radiator hose that leads from the radiator back towards the engine,
it felt like it was completely dry and it would make a wet suction noise from the radiator tank.

Luckily I was able to get home that day.
Unfortunately it wasnt the end of my overheating problems.
Same thing happened two days ago, and the same solution remedied it.

Some extra info, the car has had it's water pump and radiator fan replaced.

Now as much as I love my car overheating and having to plop down money on coolant every 3 days, I'd really like to get this fixed.

:mad:

Anyone?

Thanks.

·
Registered
482 Posts
1st do a search. These thing have shi! for cooling systems. That and you have a leak! Its just where from

·
Registered
30 Posts
are you noticing any leaks ?? while parking your car check the expansion tank they're a common problems on these cars or the water pump since you replaced the radiator but you're saying that its loosing a lot of water if you cant see the leak unfortunately and hopefully not you are burning coolant through the exhaust that means you need to replace the head gasket
one more thing is the car missing or anything ( sometimes ) ??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
are you noticing any leaks ?? while parking your car check the expansion tank they're a common problems on these cars or the water pump since you replaced the radiator but you're saying that its loosing a lot of water if you cant see the leak unfortunately and hopefully not you are burning coolant through the exhaust that means you need to replace the head gasket
one more thing is the car missing or anything ( sometimes ) ??
Yes, I have two big puddles on my driveway.
In fact, after just checking, one of the bigger puddles appears to have oil in it. Damn it, what could that be?
By the way I didn't replace the radiator, I replaced the water pump.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I recomend getting a pair of ramps for $35 or so, and a flashlight, and crawling under the car. You need to find out where this is coming from, and you can either do it yourself, or pay a pro. Either way, we can't tell you much with the info you have given us.

Check your oil. if it is normal, then good. If it is milky, then you are in trouble.

Top off your coolant with fluid and water, 50/50 mix, start your car, and let it get up to temp. You should be able to see where it is coming from. When you see it, shut down the car, and get a towel. Clean around the area with the coolant leak, and restart the car just to double check. Take pictures of the mess, and post them here.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think I may know

I have read that the expansion tank is prone to leaks.

Also, the problem you described with the random overheating while idling may be a thermostat issue, Get it checked out!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I recomend getting a pair of ramps for $35 or so, and a flashlight, and crawling under the car. You need to find out where this is coming from, and you can either do it yourself, or pay a pro. Either way, we can't tell you much with the info you have given us.

Check your oil. if it is normal, then good. If it is milky, then you are in trouble.

Top off your coolant with fluid and water, 50/50 mix, start your car, and let it get up to temp. You should be able to see where it is coming from. When you see it, shut down the car, and get a towel. Clean around the area with the coolant leak, and restart the car just to double check. Take pictures of the mess, and post them here.
Thanks cjf, will do.
I'll report back with some shots and the results.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts