BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i am going to be trading my truck in cuz im sick of it..and GM sucks. I want a BMW they are hot...and i like them. Im stuck between these 2 cars however.

Info on the 94...
2dr
1994 BMW 325is, 5 speed, Black w/Black Leather, Automatic stability control, leather steering wheel, heated windshield washer nozzles, sliding/vent sunroof, power seats, front armrest, sport seats, heated seats, air conditioning, cruise control, on-board computer, hi-fi sound system, Dinan upgrades: engine chip, cold air intake, stage 1 suspension, 373 differential. Also has a short shift kit

Info on the 97
4dr
1997 BMW 328i, 5 speed, Calypso Red w/Tan Leater, leather steering wheel, sport wheels, sliding/vent sunroof, fold-down rear seats, front armrest, sport seats, automatic air conditioning, hi-fi sound system, in-dash cd player, M sport suspension, tinted windows.

The car will be a daily driver, weekend autocross/road race car. I just can't decide which is better. Both are around $10k. the 94 has 123k miles, the 97 has 144k miles.

Pros/Cons of each?
I like the 94 coupe..cuz its a coupe and has some Dinan Upgrades.
I like the 97 sedan..cuz the red color is HOT and i like Sedans as well..has Sport package(i guess since it has Sport Susp/Seats/Wheels etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
although I have a 97, I would suggest you go with the 94. it has obd i and probably would allow upgrading the ecu, a big plus :thumbup: . also, it has lower milage and quite honestly, had the coupe also included the sport package stuff, it would probably be replaced by after market stuff anyways since you will be autoX your car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was talking to my mom about it. my dad is teh co-signer on my loan. Im only 20 yrs old and couldn't get the loan myself on my truck. She said that a 94 might be to old of a car. So i'm not sure. Well be going to see them sometime this week i hope.

Thanks for the reply. Been trying to read all I can on the 2 cars to sway me to one side or the other.

·
10,856 Posts
$10K for either of those is pretty damned high...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i know :(

unfortunately I dont think I could sell my truck for 12-13k since u can find a brand new silverado for 14-15k around here. :(

My trucks NADA value is 13k, and the payoff on the loan is 14.5k...so i need a dealership to trade my truck in for. Im just sick of GM and there 'mechanics'. They can fix waranty work but not anything u pay them $500 for that u could have done yourself for $100....but ur mother/father wouldn't let you for stupid reasons.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
I'll personally drive my '95 325i out to Illinois if you'll give me $10k for it, i'll even bring some Krispy Kreme's. :D

·
328i crazyman
24 Posts
'98 328i

Ive got a 98 328i with 97000 miles HK sound system 5 speed sport package etc... Blue Book value for it is like 12500 and i paid 11 for it... so 10000 for those 2 cars is pretty crazy to me

·
BMW ***** NOT in Maralynd
134 Posts
Don't assume you'll have to pay $10k plus for a BMW with over 100k miles just because it's a bimmer. You can find a great 328 or 325 sold locally for at least half that, the problem is getting rid of the low demand car you already have for as much $$$ as possible.

2 years ago I was in the same situation that your in right now at 18 when I traded my '88 525i for my '97 328i. I couldnt get anyone to buy my 5series, so I got my Dad and his spottless credit history to co-sign on a dealership trade. I got $4k for my 525 w/ 120k miles trade in (most domestic dealers will simply look the car over and pick a number), and bought my 328i for $16k w/ 43k miles at the time. Sure I may have overpayed, but it was much less hassle than trying to sell a car that only enthusiasts would target.

I say do the trade in, but get as much freebies and as you can out of the dealership. I got my stock cd changer, alarm, floormats, and a stack of detailing coupons before I walked off the lot.

EDIT: get the 328 :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
I would get the 328 too~~

Newer car, more reliable electronics
also heard people saying sedan has a stiffer chassic
(this can be a plus if you do handling mods)

OBD-I OBD-II probably not make much different if you are modding it properly.
(pro parts vs ricer parts)

328 will response to power mod more so than the 325 simply because it's a more efficient engine. (more hp per litre of displacement)

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
my_e36 said:
328 will response to power mod more so than the 325 simply because it's a more efficient engine. (more hp per litre of displacement)
I think most E36 tuners say the opposite, the OBDI cars respond much better to power mods. But yeah I'd still choose the 328i between those too, cause the '94 is overpriced.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts