BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, so I have this E34 BMW 518i from 1995, and while the car is generally in good shape, I want to optimize it mechanically, so its performance will be similar to, if not just like, when it just rolled off the assembly line.

Its engine is good, it still throws a bit of water from the exhaust, which I have heard is good. It has driven about 125,000km and has a 5 Speed manual gearbox.

Just want to clarify that I am not looking to upgrade the car's performance, but merely optimize it to its stock level.

Not a lot of work has been done on it during its 20 year old life, it has just been maintained. So therefore I expect to change some of its 20 year old parts which might impair its performance.

So any ideas where I should start, what parts I should I change etc.?

All help is appreciated :)
TheRealCJ96

·
Smuggled into the 'Fest
1,266 Posts
General maintenance will do the bulk of it (spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter, etc). I do know you can try to regain compression with fuel or oil additives, but other than that, it will get more involved.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Alright, I'll get on with the maintenance.
I have another question for anyone who may know. The backseat reading light in my car doesn't work. Does anyone know which bulb I need to replace it with, and how I do that?

I have attached a photo of which light I'm talking about.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Nothin like an E34
3,548 Posts
If there is no switch on it, it works off the switch on the middle light in the front. It will pull right out so you can pull the bulb and read the number off it for a replacement

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Microfilter Replacement

Hi again, so I was trying to replace my car's Microfilter. I found some guides online showing the process, however, at some point my car starts looking different than that in the guide. I have attached a photo of where I have reached in the process, and a photo of how that point should look according to the guide.

What should I do next?

My car has a R134a A/C, if that should help.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Nothin like an E34
3,548 Posts
Left or right hand drive, not sure if it makes a difference, also manual or auto ac controls

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.