BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 1995 525i auto and noticed the acceleration is quite slow compared to the little Honda I'd been driving for a few years.

When I first accelerate, if I do it hard it shudders and feels a little bumpy, before reaching a certain speed when it smooths and then accelerates perfect at higher speeds.

I've heard different things but wanted to get a possible idea what may be the problem.

·
BMW CCA Memeber #445389
3,287 Posts
Mine did that too, the shuddering in mine was attributed at a fisted driveshaft knuckle. It's not a huge problem, just a bit of low nd shaking. It was $900 for a new driveshaft, or deal with a little shudder at the low end under harder acceleration...

·
Russell
958 Posts
IMO, they are just slow. However, I have been told that a defective vanos unit will realy impact low end power.

Shuddering could be related to the trany. Has it ever been serviced with a fluid and filter change? Another possiblility is weak engine and trany mounts causing vibration

·
BMW CCA Memeber #445389
3,287 Posts
Agreed ^^^

Let's be honest, these are no supercars, and are generally "slow." 189 crank hp to move 3600lbs isn't greased lightning. Did it used to feel "faster"?

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Dude, you may have alot of little problems that contribute to your shuddering. Its a real pain to go through each one by one, and its much better to do everything at one go. Whatever was not the cause of the problem would be cleaned out anyway. Everything that could be responsible for the shudder needs annual maintenance anyway at least.

You should pull the codes from your car to narrow things down.

Here are the possible suspects, in no particular order :

1. Spark plugs
2. Clogged Injectors
3. Fuel pressure regulator
4. Idle control valve
5. Fuel filter.
6. Fuel pump.
7. Vacuum leak somewhere, which could be due to a cracked intake hose, intake manifold defects, untightened engine fittings/hoses, and leaky valve covers. Test with a vacuum pressure gauge.
8. Dirty transmission oil.
9. Faulty throttle positioning sensor.
10. Dirty air filter.
11. Clogged air intake boots.
12. Coolant temperature sensor.
13. Anti-knock sensor.

In any case, our car is not supposed to shudder under acceleration. This could be a symptom of a significant problem. And while a 525 is unlikely to pick up as fast as a featherweight (by comparison) honda, I've never heard anyone describing our cars as being slow.

So i think that you may have a problem there. It really may not be a bad idea to get it looked at professionally.

·
Humble E34 lover
5,519 Posts
The shuddering could also be a bad carrier (center) bearing of the drive shaft or a bad flex disc (guibo). Just a thought. You can visually inspect the flex disc easily enough by getting under the car and inspecting it visually. Severe cracks or fraying indicate a need to replace.

My 325 has had a shudder at about 25-32 mph under acceleration for years (~100K miles). I've never looked into it because it has been so minor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.