BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 BMW 525i. 165,000 miles.

While driving, the engine starting making a sputtering sound and I noticed a large decrease in power.
I got off the road and was towed home.
Next day my son and I took off the plastic engine shroud and when restarted I saw the problem was coming from 1 spark plug.

The spark plug had somehow twisted itself loose and was being thrown up and down in its spark plug tube, which broke the ignition plug wire and the bottom of the plug. The small piece of metal on the bottom of the spark plug was broken off too and must have fallen into the cylinder.

I ordered new ignition coil wire and plug but....

Should I try and retrieve the tiny missing piece of the spark plug or was it probably blown out of the exhaust manifold? There no sign of it when I shine a bright light into the cylinder....

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Welcome to bimmerfest! I've moved your question to our E34 5 Series forum, you'll get more help in here.

Tim

·
Registered
688 Posts
Perhaps a small telescoping magnet down the spark plug hole before installing the new plug

Unless it was instalation error, I'd be concerned about the spark plug threads in the cylinder head. You'll know more when tightening the plug

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the tiny metal bits off the bottom of the plug aren't anything to worry about....
I figured that the Pistons had ejected them after the hundreds of times they went up and down...

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
As Mykk stated, try your best to be sure no fragments are in there, but honestly as you said, it probably evacuated whatever bits there were if it was ran like that. And if it doesn't make all kinds of racket when you got a plug in and it's running, you're probably in the clear. Not to raise too much concern, but a 1/16" diameter wire bent a rod slightly for me. Fingers crossed for ya!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Magnet

Hi, as Mykk stated, I would put a magnet in there 1st, you can buy one on a flex shaft cheap at any auto parts store. If you see more then just the small bit that fell off the plug you have cause for worry, but most likely it got shot out the hole or through the exhaust valve. If it runs smooth when you replace the plug and the plug tightens OK without being striped, your good (could be why the other plug cam out, never seen one unscrew its self to the point of falling out). If it is striped, you can helicoil it, but make sure you get everything out of the cylinder before putting the plug back in if you do have to. A shop vac with small rubber hose taped to the vac hose will get any aluminum shavings out. Good luck with your car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spark plug the-thread problem!

Perhaps a small telescoping magnet down the spark plug hole before installing the new plug

Unless it was instalation error, I'd be concerned about the spark plug threads in the cylinder head. You'll know more when tightening the plug
I found that the plug hole needs to be re-tapped.
I bought a 19mm tap set but the problem I am having is that my 21mm deep socket won't fit down that tube hole...... It's just a tad too big.....
Is there a
Special
Tool that BMW used to do that????

1 - 9 of 9 Posts