BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new user here and I recently bought a 1995 525i E34. The rear shocks are in really bad shape and need to be replaced so I ordered a set of KYB Excel G's that I have confirmed to be the correct match for my 525i.
I started replacing the shocks and I am almost done but the shocks seem too long to get back in the knuckle. I've tried compressing the springs in order to get the assembled shock assembly back in however; even with a spring compressor clamped on and a bottle jack under shock strut I still couldn't get them in. I've spent a couple days looking for solutions and haven't found anything yet so any suggestions/tips would be appreciated. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I recall a similar problem the last time I replaced a rear shock mount. If you're beefy enough you may be able to press the trailing arm assembly down far enough to fit the shock bushing into place. That's what I did.

Otherwise, you might be able to improvise some sort of come-along. Maybe one of those ratchet straps people use to tie down loads on trailers. You'll have to improvise an anchor point at the floor and use the strap to pull the arm down with the ratchet action.

Or, get a second set of biceps to help muscle the shock into place.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Hi all, new user here and I recently bought a 1995 525i E34. The rear shocks are in really bad shape and need to be replaced so I ordered a set of KYB Excel G's that I have confirmed to be the correct match for my 525i.
I started replacing the shocks and I am almost done but the shocks seem too long to get back in the knuckle. I've tried compressing the springs in order to get the assembled shock assembly back in however; even with a spring compressor clamped on and a bottle jack under shock strut I still couldn't get them in. I've spent a couple days looking for solutions and haven't found anything yet so any suggestions/tips would be appreciated. :)
@PurpleJerry.....I had a similar situation on my E34 years ago. Do you have the Parking Brake on when you jacked it up? Just release it & the rear will come down enough to install the shocks. Hope this was your problem. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've had to use a towel on the brake rotor hat to rest my knees and the wheel well to place my back. Push down on the rotor until the shock tube goes in.

I would put anti seize on the shock tube- just in case for future repairs.

Edit: It looks like the shock is 180 degrees off, the longer tube should go into the arm.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just replaced them jack up the body in front of the rear wheel if you have a buddy and the car is secured well you can stand on the knuckle and have him thread the bolt. Or jack both rear wheels off ground the weight sags the suspension enough to install easy

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just replaced them jack up the body in front of the rear wheel if you have a buddy and the car is secured well you can stand on the knuckle and have him thread the bolt. Or jack both rear wheels off ground the weight sags the suspension enough to install easy

Yes if you only have one wheel jacked up you are tensioning the torsion bar and making your life difficult

I hope you are using jack stands (two at least) for this job?
Working with a jack only is very dangerous

·
Registered
1,422 Posts

Yep, good idea elevating both wheels off the ground.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
There is nothing delicate about suspension work. Brute force is your friend. jam a 2x4 or something in there and either push the shock up or pull the control arm down.
BTW If my memory serves me correctly(not always)the long side of that bushing insert should be facing into the hole.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@PurpleJerry.....I had a similar situation on my E34 years ago. Do you have the Parking Brake on when you jacked it up? Just release it & the rear will come down enough to install the shocks. Hope this was your problem. Keep us posted.
I think I did have the parking brake on if I recall correctly, I did manage to get the strut in place with a bit of leverage on the trailing arm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts