BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone im new to bimmerfest and i have a question. ive been looking to buy my gf's neighbors '96 328is and i understand the "s" means sport. but i havent been able to figure out how its actually different from just a 328i. when i tried researching it, all i could find was that it had more m3 features. my buddy tells me that the 328is has a better suspension but i was wondering if anybody else cold tell me anything else that it may include to make it different from just the 328i. thanks

·
BMW FETISH!!!
5,405 Posts
suspention, diff, sway bars, interior stuff like sports seats yada yada :)

·
Don't ask me, I'm a sofa.
1,203 Posts
haha whats that. and is that all?
It lets you put two black lines on the road, instead of one.
In a nutshell, better traction, particularly while cornering.

Also, in 328i vs 328iS, I think the 328iS might be missing two doors.

·
Resident Pilot
1,778 Posts
It depends on the 'is'
My 'is' sure as hell doesn't have the LSD.

...and yes, the 'is' in America, at least, are all coupes - 2 door.

·
what does this button do?
869 Posts
"is" just means coupe ... it doesn't have to have a sport package.

·
BMW FETISH!!!
5,405 Posts
It lets you put two black lines on the road, instead of one.
In a nutshell, better traction, particularly while cornering.

Also, in 328i vs 328iS, I think the 328iS might be missing two doors.
also lets the ass end dance. Sideways for anyone who doesnt know what im talking about :thumbup: or for the very technical people, Oversteer

·
Smoke tires, not drugs
537 Posts
yea...i have a 1996 328is with every option that was available (including sports package) and i KNOW i don't have an LSD in it....

·
Registered
330 Posts
yea...i have a 1996 328is with every option that was available (including sports package) and i KNOW i don't have an LSD in it....
dang... i kinda got my hopes up earlier. I have a 328is as well... so it was just plain not available in 96? or what? I was kinda hoping i had LSD.

·
what does this button do?
869 Posts
Only a few early years 325's come factory w/ an LSD and it come with the cold weather package and a high gear ration.

I do not believe an LSD of any ratio was a factory option on a 328. You had to step up to a M3 to get an LSD and they mostly have lower gear ratios.

People who have LSDs in 328's have retrofitted one from one of the above two sources. They can be bolted right in with little replacement of other parts.

·
BMW FETISH!!!
5,405 Posts
im pretty sure my 318is has a limited slip

·
BMW FETISH!!!
5,405 Posts
my dad has taken the ass out once in the wet, and it just just slided out, but when he counter-steered it came back. Not like the e30 when he tried it and the ass did a 180 lol! he sh!t himself

·
Still here
12,188 Posts
I meant in a more controlled and less aggressive environment

Jack the back up and turn a wheel by hand. if the other one goes the same way....you have a LSD :)

Either that or get the rear wheels on a loose surface and spin the tyres a little bit. 2 lines = LSD

·
BMW FETISH!!!
5,405 Posts
yeah i knew that, im just too lazy to jack it up.
I preffer the ass end method, in the wet!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts