BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a used 318i and I put mostly new parts including the tires,brake pads, and rotors. I haven't had a chance to really drive it because I have been replacing old parts. I took it for a drive today and I noticed that the steering wheel vibrates/shakes when I go beyond 40mph. If anyone has any insight on this PLEASE HELP ME!!:cry: I paid $3,000 for it "as is" and I would really hate to lose both the car( which I absolutely L:DVE) and my money...I have been under the suspicion that the seller knew of the small problems and didn't tell me..I heard that this is the best forum on BMW's so please give a girl a clue.:confused:

·
Yes, they're real!!!
1,538 Posts
You're a girly girl like me so I'll be nice!

I recently purchased a used 318i and I put mostly new parts including the tires,brake pads, and rotors. I haven't had a chance to really drive it because I have been replacing old parts. I took it for a drive today and I noticed that the steering wheel vibrates/shakes when I go beyond 40mph. If anyone has any insight on this PLEASE HELP ME!!:cry: I paid $3,000 for it "as is" and I would really hate to lose both the car( which I absolutely L:DVE) and my money...I have been under the suspicion that the seller knew of the small problems and didn't tell me..I heard that this is the best forum on BMW's so please give a girl a clue.:confused:
Maybe it gets cold and shivers at 40mph! Sorry I can't help myself. :D Seriously, my car's steering vibrated before I had the rotors replaced. 75% of the vibes cleared! Then I bought new tyres, got them balanced and installed. Took care of the remaining 25%! I know there's a stickie on maintenance issues for our series cars, check them out or do a quick search. See, lucky for me I never had real suspension issues on my car. Hope this helps, good luck! Post some photos of your baby when you get the chance! Welcome to the fest!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx

Thanks for answering my question:thumbup:......I had the wheels balanced already so do you any other ideas? I have been wrecking my brain trying to figure out the problem and i don't have a clue:dunno:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Maybe it gets cold and shivers at 40mph!" L:rofl:L! I have brand new rotors. For some weird reason I bought two new front tires and left the old ones on the back:dunno:. I don't know why, but I will buy two for the back and hopefully that will help

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I had the same problem with my VW Jetta TDI, I balanced the tires, didn't fix it. As it turned out it was a drivers side C/V joint.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Wow, a 318 can go over 40........... haha

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
30,559 Posts
Slightly, like 88 mph over that.

+1 on the alignment. If it's a reputable shop, they'll tell you if the front-end components need replacing. They probably do.

·
Yes, they're real!!!
1,538 Posts
Yup! About 38mph faster than your skateboard and 35mph faster than your BM......

..."X"! :p

·
Registered
8 Posts
see my question on this forum. I had a similar problem with the Drive Shaft, front Bushing & CV Joint. My car shook so much, that from 24-28mph it sounded like there was a growl from under the center arm rest. After that, at speeds over 65mph, not only did the rear window shake, but the sun roof rattled to the point I could barely have a conversation in the car. I don't know if the front bushing is the issue, or the drive shaft. I was warned not to drive my car any great distances of the CV Joint would have to be replaced. In the end, I was lucky that it only cost me $1000. If you're lucky, it will only be the front end bushing - cost around $250, then you have the labor. Good Luck

·
On the search for an ///M
653 Posts
you should like......get an alignment. thatd be my guess.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yup! About 38mph faster than your skateboard and 35mph faster than your BM......

..."X"! :p
I like how now, no matter what I say, people waste the time to start coming up with jokes about me. Yah, MY 328i goes about 145mph faster than my skate board.

·
search is your friend
535 Posts
I like how now, no matter what I say, people waste the time to start coming up with jokes about me. Yah, MY 328i goes about 145mph faster than my skate board.
Its a local forum. Its gonna happen, get used to it.
Especiallly when your 15 and cant even drive yet. Good luck with YOUR 328i :rofl:

To OP, start with cheapest options and just work your way up. Hopefully the new rear tires and an alignment help

1 - 17 of 17 Posts