BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone!

I have a problem with my convertible top. The car is a 1997 E36 328i 5-speed with a fully automatic convertible top. So I have disengaged the motors and can put the top all the way down or all the way up no problems. But when I engage the motors the top goes all the way down fine and locks itself into the top cover and then it does want to go back up. I have watched many videos about these tops and can't seem to find the problem. Any help would be amazing. Thanks so much.
I hope to be a help to the community instead of just ask questions so just give me time to learn more about these cars since this is my first BMW and I just got it a few days ago.

youtube.com/watch?v=jY3NQSBuYik

·
Registered
12,830 Posts
When you disengage the motors the top system loses track of where everything is. You need to try reinitializing it to see if that solves your issue. I've attached the instructions on how to do the reinitialization.
You stated you just got the car. Was the top working when you bought it or did you buy with the top not working and the motors disengaged?

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts