BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1997 528i's high temp light :cry: came on this Tuesday 7/25/2006. Took it to the dealership and they found that the water pump, thermostat and radiator and fan were in bad shape (did not appear to be but pressure test on the radiator indicated it was leaking. Got the entire thing replaced, I am supposed to pick the car up today ($1279 total bill to replace the cooling system w/o sensors).

I read the thread link posted here ENTIRE COOLING SYSTEM REPLACEMENT, the service guy pretty much did what is on this link (good job CNN-090 on bimmerboard). I am guessing this is normal at 162K. I would have done it myself but I am crunched on time. I will post pics of the damaged parts so if someone needs to know what to look for they can find out.

·
wrencher
150 Posts
wow. 162K is impressive, typically that stuff goes anywhere from 80K - 120K

Parts are around $300, so next time around you should try to DIY.

·
Registered
15,460 Posts
It is me CNN-090

avibhogal said:
My 1997 528i's high temp light :cry: came on this Tuesday 7/25/2006. Took it to the dealership and they found that the water pump, thermostat and radiator and fan were in bad shape (did not appear to be but pressure test on the radiator indicated it was leaking. Got the entire thing replaced, I am supposed to pick the car up today ($1279 total bill to replace the cooling system w/o sensors).

I read the thread link posted here ENTIRE COOLING SYSTEM REPLACEMENT, the service guy pretty much did what is on this link (good job CNN-090 on bimmerboard). I am guessing this is normal at 162K. I would have done it myself but I am crunched on time. I will post pics of the damaged parts so if someone needs to know what to look for they can find out.
I did the entire thing for $550:
1-Nissens rad
2-Tsat
3-Tstat housing
4- WP

5- fan clutch + fan blades
6- reservoir and cap
7-hoses x2
8-belts x2
9-idler puller x 3
10-tensioners x2

Make sure you have the last 6 items mentioned looked at.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes everything mentioned above is being changed, All 10 items. I would have done it, but I am short on time. It seems like it would take 3 to 4 hours to DIY, I have done WP's before on Chevy's and this seems much easier.
I greatly appreciate the link you posted, it was helpful in understanding the system on the BMW. I am not sure if they are changing the reservoir but if not I will do it in a couple of weeks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts