BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm looking for a relatively safe and reliable daily driver (for around town...no long distance trips) and have my eye on a local 1997 528i. The car has lots of miles on it (180k), but is otherwise in quite good condition for a 10 year old car. It's current owner is a salesman who put up to 40,000mi/yr on the car. I don't believe that the car has either the Premium or Cold Weather packages. The owner has it listed for $6.2k. Is this a good deal? Will the transmission go out on this car soon? I've read that a transmission repair alone could cost $3.5k. What are your thoughts on the value of this deal? :dunno:

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Not saying that is a good or bad buy but that's a lot of mileage...I would look at a 3 series instead bullet proof cars...lower repair costs....less troubles IMO

·
Registered
332 Posts
If the owner has done all the maintenance (rotors, brakes, radiator, water pump, thermostat, drive belts, shocks, transmission fluid change, spark plugs, oxygen sensors and possibly cat converters), then I think it's a good buy. I think you can find one with 100k mi for less than $8.5k.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks very much for all of your advice. Based on your advice, I think I***8217;ll keep shopping unless the owner of the 528i becomes extremely motivated to unload the car. I***8217;m also looking at a 1996 328i with 86k miles for $7500. Although the 328i is a year older than the 528i, the mileage (86k) is much more reasonable than the 180k miles on the 528i. What are your thoughts on a 96 328i with 86k miles? The owner of the 328i is asking $7500 for the car (which appears to have been well-maintained). Would the 96 328i with 86k miles be worth $1,300 more than the ***8217;97 528i with 180k miles?

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
In my opinion, it's a huge NO, without question. That is an incredibly high price for a car with that mileage. Just be patient, the deal you want will come.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yeah, I would say the price is too high-ESPECIALLY if it doesnt have the cold weather package...I got mine on ebay for $5500 with little less than 180k and it had everything except hi-end radio PLUS the cooling system had been redone which was a plus. Auto tranny in that year is a GM product and can be bought rebuilt on ebay for $1K...national tranny shops should rebuild it for around $2K. I would make a lower offer and see what he says...3 series cars from what I saw when searching were pricier than the 5...there are just more people looking to buy a used 3 than a 5 which keeps the prices up on the 3...I like the 5 because they have a little more room and are less likely to be driving like h ell.

·
Get left...Go Fast
1,306 Posts
...pass on that one...$$ kinda high for that milage....

·
b_rashed
445 Posts
i think you should look for a 323i if ur looking for a daily driver- hella good on gas and its compact.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts