Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hood is stuck on the drivers side. When I pulled the hood release, the passenger side opened just fine, but the drivers side is stuck. Does anyone know how to get the hood open when it sticks like this? My "Check Coolant Level" message keeps coming up and I can't get the hood open. Thanks!

·
WTB - your E39 M5
6,216 Posts
crowbar?

get a flashlight in there check it out.
I dont know any other way

Just drive to your nearest dealer. Im sure they will do it for free

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I already tried prying it. I even had my wife sit on it to put pressure on it. Now it has a butt dent in the hood. LMAO....LOLOLOL

·
WTB - your E39 M5
6,216 Posts
^ are you serious?

Now all you have to do is sell it and LEARN YOU DRIVE A BMW, NOT a civic. Dont sit on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not serious

^ are you serious?

Now all you have to do is sell it and LEARN YOU DRIVE A BMW, NOT a civic. Dont sit on it.
no there is no dent........that went with your "crow Bar" advise.........i have never even owned a honda car....lmao......have a great mechanic in town.......but he is not open on mondays.......and we worked all last week in L.A area so tomorroe is the day........
but thanks for your help:eeps:

·
2003 530 5 speed
212 Posts
Recently, my hood stuck on my 2003 530. I pulled the interior latch, and as usual, the secondary latch release popped out from the grill. However, when I pulled up on the grill latch, nothing happend. I continued to apply upward pressure until I thought something might break. I forced the hood back down (closed) and pulled the interior latch , repeating the process. On the 4th time, the secondary latch handle activated the latch.

After inspection, I noticed that a round pin slides inside a groove to move the latch open. The pin was stuck inside the groove. Just a lack of lubrication. But it was enough to freeze things up.

For you, I'd suggest soaking that secondary latch the best you can with wd-40. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
501 Posts

·
97' 540i
331 Posts
Omg

LOL.. this is like deja-vu all over again...

This happened to me, and was about to pull my hair out.....

First, to open the hood ( this is if you tried the push, pull yank here and there tricks), you need to pull the Driver side grill off... it comes off, but when it does your going to fly. grab it at the most outside slats, work the top first, and pull like hell... it will come off. I was lucky and didn't break it.. if ya do, there cheep.

ok, now you need a cotter pin extractor tool, or something like it,( anything with a curve like screw driver tip) there is a latch up by the cable that needs to push away from you. that will release the driver side. once its open you need to check all the cables and lube them.. in my case it was the small plastic box hooked on the side by the oil filter.. make sure nothing move, as in lose cable linkage... that was my prob. clean and lube the top and bottom catch.

........ gawd i was there and wasn't fun... but if it ever does it again, BUT won't now, I know what to do... GOOD LUCK!!

let us know how it goes.

:rofl:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Happened to me, have to take the grill out and used a wrench and unscrew the hood pin little by little, cause the half moon wire is stuck.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Happened to me too

it happened to me too last summer, what I did was pull the latch inside the car and then pull the lever on the right side grill as to open the hood and then pull the latch inside the car again and it releases the driver side, couldnt figure out what was the problem but it fixed itself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I want to thank each and everyone of you for all your help.....today being sunday and my 1 day off i am going to tackle this one way or the other....keep me in mind.......this is the greatest forum out there....and a heck of alot cheaper then taking it to the dealer
THANKS EVERYONE
RICK

·
Registered
2 Posts
so this is going to sound funny but I'm stuck in the same situation and I really need your help. my battery is dead and I can't open the hood. any help pls.

·
livin the 'Fest
4,280 Posts
you can use your key to unlock the trunk, i forget wich way you turn but you have to turn it a little further than normal, you should hear is pop, then push the key inwards to open. and just in case you don't know the batt. is located in the trunk. but if you need to open the hood, have someone pull the inside lever and hold it in the open position, while you pull the hood up.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
so this is going to sound funny but I'm stuck in the same situation and I really need your help. my battery is dead and I can't open the hood. any help pls.
You cant get the hood open or you cant get the doors open to get to the hood latch? Try the above post to get into your trunk, its a hard turn to the left or right (varys from car to car for some reason)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm sorry I didn't explain better the latch is broken so I can't pop the hood to get to the car battery. Is there anyway to open the hood so I can replace the battery or jump start it?

·
livin the 'Fest
4,280 Posts
ok. to start with the batt. is located in the trunk of the car. on the pass. side. you can jump it there. on the latch which i assume your talking about the one on the inside, then if there is any peice of cable left, use a pair of pliers to pull the cable and the hood should pop.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts