BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are the main differences between the 1997 auto & the 1998 540i 6 speed other than the obvious.
Are the headlights the same, will they work with either car?
Is the front bumper the same?

·
Registered
427 Posts
There are no major difference between 97 and 98. The /6 will have the 'sports package": staggered wheels, stiffer suspension and shadowline trim (i.e. flat black around the side windows rather than chrome). My '98 has side airbags whereas I don't believe the '97 has them.

Other than that it will depend on the options that came with the original car: xenon headlights, audiophile stereo, CD changer, phone, etc were all options. I believe all body panels (incl bumpers) are identical.

Don't forget to find the delivery date for the '97. It may be a year older than you think because there was no '96 model year.

... and of course the obvious difference: auto and standard are night and day difference on these cars.

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,637 Posts
Keep in mind, if the 98 does have shadowline, the bumper and side mouldings will not have chrome in them as do all '97 sports- even the 6 speeds. Same for the trim around the windows.

At one time or another before 2000, they changed the side view mirrors from '97 or '98- they got smaller. The gas cap changed as well. I am also pretty sure that rain sensing wipers showed up in '98's- not an option on '97's. (Unless you're just silly like Tyrone.)

·
an audience of One
7,853 Posts
For the "Premium Fuel Only" sticker that resides in the fuel filler opening, I believe BMW sourced the adhesive from a different manufacturer for MY99.

:p :D :)

-Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts