BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 BMW 528i when I drive sometimes I hear a loud thumb. All of my gears are smooth. Does anyone know what that problem is. Someone told me it was the motor mount.

·
Restoration Enthusiast
104 Posts
Could be a number of things really. When do you hear the noise? When you accelerate from a stop, when you turn or brake? Do you hear it from the front, center or rear of the car? Any vibration to go along with the noise? What you need to do is get a friend and raise the hood and put the trans into drive and hold the brake with your left foot. Gently apply the throttle while someone stands to the side of the car near the fender and have them watch for the engine to move an abnormal amount. Do the same in reverse. Go back and forth and you'll be able to see if there's a bad engine mount. My guess honestly would be a bad differential mount, but I wouldn't rule out an engine mount.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I will try that. It happens if I'm not mistaken it's when I push on the gas and the sound is in the rear. It happens when I get up to 2nd 3rd gear. Not Everytime tho.

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Welcome to Bimmerfest! I've moved your question to our E39 5 Series forum. Without more info on when the noise is happening it is hard to diagnose. Have you replaced any of the bushings on your car? At that age almost everything is probably on it's way out.

Tim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got the car

Hey your right however it's under milage and it was well kept. I'm just getting the car so I haven't did anything with it as of yet. It was a great buy for 700

·
Registered
46 Posts
Definitely sounds like the differential bushings. We had a similiar issue. Put the car in park, look at the diff when someone is rocking the car back and forth, we had a good 2 inches of up and down play.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts