BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beemer experts, I need your advice!

I recently looked at a 1997 BMW 540i. It has leather seats, ac, sunroof, nice rims/tires, it's exterior is clean and the interior is decent. The motor idles very roughly on start and initially emits white smoke until it warms up. Check engine lights stays on. And there seems to be a loss of power on take off. There are zero ticks or knocks and the tranny seems alright.

Heres the deal, I love BMW's (Habe zehn jahre in Bayern gelebt, Sprechen sie Deutsch?) and have rebuilt the motor, changed clutch/tranny from 318i. Remanned the heads on my 1995 530i (cleanest/nicest 1995 5 series in Detroit!!!)

He only wants 6,000 G's. What would you do if you were me???

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
1997 540i, HOw much?

Beemer experts, I need your advice!

I recently looked at a 1997 BMW 540i. It has leather seats, ac, sunroof, nice rims/tires, it's exterior is clean and the interior is decent. The motor idles very roughly on start and initially emits white smoke until it warms up. Check engine lights stays on. And there seems to be a loss of power on take off. There are zero ticks or knocks and the tranny seems alright.

Heres the deal, I love BMW's (Habe zehn jahre in Bayern gelebt, Sprechen sie Deutsch?) and have rebuilt the motor, changed clutch/tranny from 318i. Remanned the heads on my 1995 530i (cleanest/nicest 1995 5 series in Detroit!!!)

He only wants 6,000 G's. What would you do if you were me???

·
Hawks RULE!
1,166 Posts
If it were me I'd run the other way. But I wouldn't know how to rebuild a motor.

Even though this might be your plan, $6k seems a lot for a car you could potentially be dumping $3-6k or more into immediately. And who knows what else might be wrong with the car.

For the money, I'd keep looking.

-Cago

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.