BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently purchased a 1997 bmw z3, I'm fairly new to the forum but I know a thing or two about bmw. I took apart center console initially to remove the hand brake for a replacement, and when I did I noticed water underneath both the driver side and passenger side carpets but only on the rear. I was able to located and fix all the leaks on the car but the foam underneath the carpet is still wet, any idea on what the best way would be to dry the foam out completely? Also the power to my radio died a little bit ago and I'm worried that it might be related to the moisture under the carpet, because all of the fuses are perfectly fine. Any help on the issue will be greatly appreciated thanks.

·
BMW CCA 1405
1997 BMW Z3 1.9
5,180 Posts
... recently purchased a 1997 bmw z3... noticed water underneath both the driver side and passenger side carpets but only on the rear. I was able to located and fix all the leaks on the car but the foam underneath the carpet is still wet, any idea on what the best way would be to dry the foam out completely?...
What leaks did you find and fix?
If the leak wetted both sides of the carpet only behind the seat, the source is likely in the butyl tape of the sealing ring around the convertible top.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
25,504 Posts
Heater and fan.

Ive got a stand up portable room heater, like 1600W, as well as a 30" box fan. Prop up the carpeting/foam as much as you can...position the fan to blow air across the heaer, into the car through an open door and out the back door or windows. Every couple of hours (or every day) move to a new door.

and yes, needs a garage...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What leaks did you find and fix?
If the leak wetted both sides of the carpet only behind the seat, the source is likely in the butyl tape of the sealing ring around the convertible top.
Yea, my friend and I took off the top and resealed the back of the top, as well as all the pillars and door panels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts