Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I got stuck in snow on Friday finally got it free'd after an hour and a half, some shovels and 3 guys helping to rock it free, since then my "what appears" sounds like from the diff... is making a grinding noise like gears grinding or skipping. The wheels and noise work fine when driving straight, but get the grinding noise when turning. and dependant on left or right turns, one of the wheels in the rear appears to be dragging... almost as if, 'what could be described as a locked diff' the wheels aren't turning appropriatly for the corner. Does anyone have any advise or idea, what could have happened or be broken?

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
this seems to be something becoming more common. someone has a 98 and also blew up his open diff.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I'm likely in for a new diff? And would it more likely than not just be the centre unit itself that would need to be replaced? Should I bother with one from a wrecking yard out of a newer E39 or go for a new unit?

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
well... depends what you want to spend and if it indeed is your diff (though all roads seem to lead to rome).

if you're going to replace it, might as well fix it and get LSD put in specially if you're in canada. i get out of snow piles with snow tires and definitely helps with the lsd.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
If you do determine that you need a new diff, I have one from my 1998 with about 90,000. I'll sell it for a good price.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've had my Nov 97 540 for a few years now. I had some work done on the cats under warranty not long after the car was bought, and BMW dealer said there was a recall outstanding for the differential pinion bearing. They booked the car in and when I got it back it had a shiny new differential, all free of charge even though I don't get the car serviced there regularly.
So, is it worth going back to a dealer and asking if they have done a replacement on your car, you never know, it may get done for free.

cheers

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Couple of guys now I'm speaking to says that it could be the ASC that is deffective... because the car is still driving but just grinding when cornering sharply, liketaking a 90 degree turn, and having driving issues when cold, when the car is cold the driver side rear wheel drags intermitantly for about 50 cm's at a time on off on off, in straight line until the car warms up a little usually less than 5 mins, with this time the car wont actually accelerate or rev at all while in drive, it will idle along going forward at a snail pace, then when it get warm you can actually drive it, maybe ABS / ASC system got screwed up somehow... have booked it to get diagnosed at BMW tomorrow, will enquire about the pinion bearing though. Thanks for the advice... will let you guys know what the outcome is tomorrow.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, I've spoken to a mechanic today and he assures me that I will find it's the "spider gears" Ontario, about 30 minutes drive from me that has a 2nd hand diff from a 98 540i Auto for $350.

Where abouts are you and how much do you want for your diff? Any garantee that it is in good working order?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts