Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My passenger tail light won't work. Change bulbs fuses and checked relays and the issue with wires going to truck lid. All good.

Turn Signal; brake light, reverse all work. Just the parking/driving light.

Ordered new lights and they were a 8 prong but my car is 6 prong.

How can I splice wires to make new ones work? Or what do I do.

·
John Firestone
2,913 Posts
Any chance you can get the vendor to send you the correct, non-check control tail lights for your car? That would be quite a bit faster and easier than hacking up the wiring.

Here is a DIY for converting the tail lights, the other way, the wrong way ***8211; from how you need them to how the lights you have are now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any chance you can get the vendor to send you the correct, non-check control tail lights for your car? That would be quite a bit faster and easier than hacking up the wiring.

Here is a DIY for converting the tail lights, the other way, the wrong way ***8211; from how you need them to how the lights you have are now.
I saw this before. This is the opposite of my issue. I'm going from a 6 prong to new ones are 8 prong. The site I ordered said there should be only one version of lights for my model. So they are sending me a refund. But I'm still with out a driving light.

·
John Firestone
2,913 Posts
IIRC, the non-check control (non-CC) units the car is wired for, daisy chain the brake light and rear position light from one tail light assembly to the other, whereas the CC units don't. The above DIY breaks the daisy chaining in the non-CC tail lights, so probably the easiest thing to do would be to add some wiring that ties together the left and right side brake and position lights. You can see what wires you need to add, and possibly the contacts you may want to move, by comparing the ETM sheets for the CC and non-CC brake+tail+reverse+position lighting.

·
John Firestone
2,913 Posts
Out of curiosity, are they aftermarket rear lighting units? I thought there were some that you could jumper for either a CC or non-CC car ***8211; or perhaps that is a wish being father to the thought!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Out of curiosity, are they aftermarket rear lighting units? I thought there were some that you could jumper for either a CC or non-CC car ***8211; or perhaps that is a wish being father to the thought!
They are aftermarket ones. I just liked that they didn't have the yellow corner for the turn signal and had a yellow bulb instead.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IIRC, the non-check control (non-CC) units the car is wired for, daisy chain the brake light and rear position light from one tail light assembly to the other, whereas the CC units don't. The above DIY breaks the daisy chaining in the non-CC tail lights, so probably the easiest thing to do would be to add some wiring that ties together the left and right side brake and position lights. You can see what wires you need to add, and possibly the contacts you may want to move, by comparing the ETM sheets for the CC and non-CC brake+tail+reverse+position lighting.
I don't know what etmsheets are. Tried looking up info for which color wire went to what since the housing is so confusing. This is my first time working on a bmw. Was a Honda guy and an off roader so this is all new to me.

·
John Firestone
2,913 Posts
You are looking for something like the BMW E36 electrical troubleshooting manuals. There are different ones by model, market and year. You used to be able to buy them (we did) but that was before the Internet became vastly popular. Sections 6313.0***8211;6325.0 cover the rear lighting. There are sections at the beginning of each manual that explain how they are drawn and that decode the wire color abbreviations.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,233 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts