BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently run into problems with my 323.
1. The connector for the radiator to the hose broke so I replaced the radiator. I replaced both hoses as well. Now the temperature gauge is going red. Could this be it needs bleeding? If so, how is this accomplished. If not, what else should I look at and change.

2. My brake replacement light just came on as well, it's the circle with the curved line on either side. It's lighting up rad, but the owner's manual indicates if it lights up yellow, the brakes need changing. What does it lighting red mean.
How can I tell which brakes need changing?
What parts do I need to order for each set of brakes.

And can someone please tell me the process of replacing the brakes.

Thanks for the help.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Welcome to the Fest!

1. Yes, that sounds like a bleeding issue. There's a convenient bleed screw located next to the radiator cap. If that doesn't do it, water pump (common), t-stat (rare, usually fail open not closed).

2. No, doesn't mean back brakes. I don't remember off the top of my head, but I want to at least thank you for reading the manual first!!! :) Anyway, I have never heard of that particular light lighting up yellow, to the best of my knowledge it's always red, and means pads are low. But if that's what the manual says then I don't know. I suppose it could mean it finds the fluid pressure to be too low, check your brake fluid reservoir.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply.

I looked up the repair logs and had the brakes done in 9/2005.
The replaced pads (front/back) rotors (front) and sensors (back).

What's the best way to tell what needs to be replaced.

The light just came on, no squeaks or anything like that.

·
Official Queen of E36 OT
4,460 Posts
You can tell your pads, rotors, and fluid level by a visual inspection. The senors and lines themselves, not so much. Start with making sure the pads still have enough meat and that your rotors are healthy, and go from there. Could also try calling the BMW shop and asking them what the red indicator means.

My first thought on the red light was either fluid or a sensor. But with your brakes, at least IMO, it's best to just double check that everything else is still in good shape too. Just in case and all that, since well operating brakes are always a good thing.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

I looked up the repair logs and had the brakes done in 9/2005.
The replaced pads (front/back) rotors (front) and sensors (back).

What's the best way to tell what needs to be replaced.

The light just came on, no squeaks or anything like that.
Well, for one thing you need to replace all 4 rotors next brake job. BMW rotors are "disposable."
Really, you should replace everything at the same time each job. All 8 pads, all 4 rotors, and I think there are only 2 sensors (rear right, front left) but I could be wrong.

On most German cars, BMW included, you don't get electronic warning squeaking like Japanese cars. You have a sensor with the warning light. When you have a BMW squeak, the metal is on the rotors.

Visual the rotors and pads, although since you're asking this question I'd recommend you have a mechanic check it real quick for you. You can check fluid on your own though. Brakes are NOT something to do half-ass, for obvious reasons.

·
Official Queen of E36 OT
4,460 Posts
Wow that looks really similar to what I just wrote..... eerie. :eek:

:bigpimp:

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
:rofl:

True, but I added in details you left out, like info on what needs to be done in a brake service for BMWs and why he/she isn't hearing a squeak, etc. ;)

·
Official Queen of E36 OT
4,460 Posts
I thought it was kind of understood, but ok I'll accept that as a passable answer. Could've at least said something like "Listen to Amber" and then added your extras.... sheesh. :D

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
:rofl: Attention whore....cough cough.

If I say that, I'm afraid it will come back to haunt me. :p

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts

·
Official Queen of E36 OT
4,460 Posts
Double post doll. Who's the attention whore now?

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
:rofl: Ouch :(

Damn TWC. I want my Comcast back :(.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Girls.... :tsk:

·
Official Queen of E36 OT
4,460 Posts
I did. And you know it. Admit it. That one was fair and square.

·
Registered
797 Posts
girls ...girls .. girls ... stop fighting over who posted what first for gods sake... whats next name calling and cat fights? :lmao::rofl:

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I am nearly certain that the brake lining light will only illuminate one color, whether it be red or yellow.

At any rate, when it comes time to buy new brake parts keep EAC in mind, we have everything you need.
front pads:
www.eactuning.com/parts/product_details/34116761242

rear pads:
www.eactuning.com/parts/product_details/34216761239

front rotors:
www.eactuning.com/parts/product_details/34111164431

rears:
www.eactuning.com/parts/product_details/34211164401

sensors(need both):
www.eactuning.com/parts/product_details/34351181338
www.eactuning.com/parts/product_details/34351181342

send me a pm if you have any questions.