Bimmerfest BMW banner

is there something wrong with my connection going to the car from the sensor?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • maybe

• sell the car

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this car for maybe a year now the car was sitting for about 3 or 4 years before i got it back on the road. i keep getting the code po340 camshaft position sensor bank 1, i have misfires on cylinders 4 5 and 6 but when i go buy the part from oreillys for 90 bucks nothing happens same code same symptoms “bad misfiring, slow/sluggish acceleration sometimes no acceleration, stalls sometimes main problem is the misfiring” please help i don’t want to give up on the e39. more info”new water pump, new sparks,new boots for coils, coils car old but still working, new abs wheel speed sensors, oil change. please help me save this car and my money thank you in advance. i will post check engine codes for everyone!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Return the sensor to oreillys and buy the OE CPS from a reputable source (ECS, FCP, etc), or better yet shell out another 40 bucks and buy the original BMW CPS. These cars don't like cheap aftermarket sensors.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Sidenote, just thought it was interesting that your scanner is branded Bosch. It looks identical to a Actron one. The display is exactly the same. Looks like the case is just a different color.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so is this the the car cont stop misfiring .. i can’t even drive the car right now it still cranks but sound bad and badder when i put it in drive

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i noticed that my cylinder 3 is not working also even when i changed out the coil pack still not working i’m confused and about to go back to the hondas

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Return the sensor to oreillys and buy the OE CPS from a reputable source (ECS, FCP, etc), or better yet shell out another 40 bucks and buy the original BMW CPS. These cars don't like cheap aftermarket sensors.
is the causing the misfires?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sidenote, just thought it was interesting that your scanner is branded Bosch. It looks identical to a Actron one. The display is exactly the same. Looks like the case is just a different color.
that’s the scanner from oreillys!

·
Wingnut
3,675 Posts
normally the cps wont cause misfires, but it can. an off brand cps can cause who knows what. get an eom one. when mine went bad (99 528i) it was giving me problems long before the code showed up. yours being a 6 cyl, it applies to all 6 cyls, not just bank one. what leads you to say cyl 3 isnt working? im not seeing anything on your scanner about a cyl 3 or cyls 4,5 and 6 misfiring.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
one of my spark plugs in cylinder 3 was shot it was blackout out unlucky the other 5 which was new by the way put a new plug in and boom no misfire!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and i still have the cps code and it is a after market park from i o’ reilly’s import direct code won’t go off

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i ordered a new cps from bimmerworld 68$ new bmw brand hope it works car drives slow but when i get on the highway it rides

1 - 11 of 11 Posts