BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does the Smog Emission Pump do? My pump on 1998 BMW Z3 1.9 engine, auto transmission, i was told that before long it would have to be replaced. How do you know when it needs to be replaced? Can it be rebuild or can you buy a kit for it? The cost for a new one is out of site. Any advice would be very helpful.
Thanks
HAPPY HOLIDAYS:)

·
Registered
406 Posts
The secondary air pump will trigger a "check engine light" when it fails. It is required for the car to meet emmissions standards. BTW I have a new one that I won't ever use that I will sell for a lot less than retail. I got it when I was going to install the Downing Supercharger since I was going to have the intake manifold off anyway. Well low and behold my 3/96 1.9 doesn't have one contrary to the ETK. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1998 z3

This is a friends car but i will tell him about the air pump that you have. As for what they are worth i guess that would be the condition it is in. I would be guessing but some where between $5700.00 and $7200.00. I know the one he has is in grear condition.
Thanks for your reply

·
Registered
85 Posts
What causes the Secondary Air Pump (SAP) to fail is failure of the check valve attached to the exaust manifild. If you replace the SAP without replacing the faulty check valve, the part will simply fail again over time. Otherwise the pump only runs for about a minute when the engine is cold so it should last indefinately. I pulled an SAP and check valve off of a random BMW (I don't remember what model it was) and put it on my 97 2.8L. I havent had the CEL come on since.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts