BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i'm writting you from Chile to ask you a few questions. Sorry for the long post but i want to give you as much details as posible for an accurate advice. Here we go:

The last new years night my car started to have some issues. let me explain.
I was facing a small uphill but the car wasn't able to gear into third, the revs started to stall and it seemed it was going to shut off. i quited the foot from the pedal and the car returned to 2nd gear normally. But then, when i faced a downhill, i just let the car fall and it was all back to normal.
Then, the nightmare, i was going into a very hard uphill and the car suddenly died. Tried to start it again and it did nothing. i killed the battery trying to start again. A neighbor came to my help, we opened the Hood and found the MAF connector unplugged. Jeez! i thought the problema was over. I towed the car out of the uphill, jumpsatrted the battery and it came to life again. Went for a small drive (04 am of the 1st of January...what a night for my GF) and the problem continued.
i remembered some of the lessons taught by my father and exclaimed: Uhhmm! it must be something related with the admisión! I removed the air filter and its housing and also opened, as far as posible, the air valve. Guess what, the car started again after three attempts (it wasn't a cold morning, nowadays it's summer in here)
I went for a spin and the car was able to gear into third with no problem, but again it turned off once i got into an uphill (thing is i live in a hill)
Next day, a friend came with a scanne to check the computer and it showed the following:
08: Air-Mass flow sensor (The connector was plugged)
CB: Oxygen-sensor control limit, cylinder 4-6
CA: Oxygen-sensor control limit, cylinders 1-3; Z3 and 323i US only: this fault affects cylinders 1-6
Again the mass sensor came to my mind, but the day before i removed the MAF unit, check for dirt and strange objects on it and it was clean as a whistle and the sensor it self seeemd to be ok.
We errased the errors but the car keep suffering the same problem.
The guy with the scanner was suffering to give me an answer and started to "invent" some posible problems: ignition coils (all seemed ok, at least they were well plugged), spark plugs (could it be since i've never changed one), we both agreed it could be also fuel filter and/or fuel pump because it wasn't strong enough to pump the petrol from the tank to the engine when the car is going uphill.
Anyway, last night my battery died again (sorry guys but the last owner left me a 55Amps ****!! and i can't find one of 90amps that fits in the trunk and under the medkit) So i called my father to come in my help. We jumpstarted the car, three of four attemps and the car started. The iddle was rough, oscilating between 900 and 1100 rpm. then my dad was leaving and he said: Open the Hood son.
We checked under the Hood and he said: open the oil cap in the engine in one move. I did't and guess what: The car stopped.
My dad said it was the PCV valve. I started the car again and the idle speed went nuts until it finally sut off. I started again and the idle kept having the same issue. Turned it off and went to the experts.
One last thing, i have no light warning in the dash, and i have a a small fuel smell coming out from the exaust but no smoke neither water, no wáter on the oil and no oil in the radiator

Ufff. Sorry for this long post, but i said it before, i wnat to give you as much details as possible to help me with a diagnose.

I have some questions for you then:
1.- Where the hell is this PCV valve located? If you have a photo, it will be very appreciated.
2.- What's you opinión on this problem
3.- What are the elements shown in this pdf: (the ones with the caps on)
4.- My cruise control doesn't start when i press the button. where can i satrt to check the funtionality of it.?

Best regards from Chile.

Attachments

·
Registered
646 Posts
I suspect a vacuum leak. I can't wait to see the responses you get from the experts. That is your power steering reservoir in the picture.

Good luck.

·
Registered
646 Posts

·
Registered
12,382 Posts
automatic??:dunno:

do you have traction control?? were there any malfunction indicator lights flashing at the time this occured?? and how is the trans fluid level??

i would also check the condition ofthe battery and charging system since these can make the whole car go erratic when they are on the verge of failing.

welcome to the fest, though, and i hope that you are able to get this sorted out quickly.

df

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
automatic??:dunno:

do you have traction control?? were there any malfunction indicator lights flashing at the time this occured?? and how is the trans fluid level??

i would also check the condition ofthe battery and charging system since these can make the whole car go erratic when they are on the verge of failing.

welcome to the fest, though, and i hope that you are able to get this sorted out quickly.

df
The car is automatic. No lights whatsoever shown or flashing in the dash. The car has ASC-T.
I cannot know the fluid level since i never opened the trans but there's never been a leakage from the gearbox.
The ASC-T light comes on every time you start the car without the MAF sensor connected. Once you plug it again, the car starts with no light whatshoever.
The battery is a complete 55amps crap, but the charging system is ok for I connected a 90amps battery and it was completly charged normally and in time by the car

·
Registered
12,382 Posts
ok then, my next question (or series thereof...) would be as follows...

is this an intermittent concern, or can you reproduce this whenever you are facing uphill?? does the condition present when facing downhill as well?? (or vice versa, i forget...)

has this condition presented since you plugged the maf in??

df

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The condition hasn't changed at all. the only differences was that i was able to get into 3rd in plain surfaces, but once i got uphill, the car dies!
Now, since i opened the oil cap of the engine and closed it back, the idle speed it's very "jumpy" and tends to shut off
I couldn't get the car into the tarmac again since the actual condition

·
Registered
12,382 Posts
if the vehicle will not go into third gear on an incline, but wil do so on a flat surface, my first suspicion is low fluid level in the trans.

i would check that first.

df

·
Registered
741 Posts
I think you are dealing with multiple issues. As DF said, you should check your tranny fluid. I also suspect a vacuum leak as was mentioned here by Mike V. Both are easy to sort out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts