BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 1998 BMW 528i. Surprisingly the first thing I noticed was the sound system sounded like crap (NO DSP, NO CD Changer, Just a tape deck). Im debating upgrading the HU and the speakers because the audio system is one of the most important things to me. I want to keep the stock look so I was pondering the Dynavin unit for the E39 (Any reviews please share) but before I shelled out all that money I wanted to try just upgrading the speakers first. I found the BSW plug & play system and im reading mixed reviews about that and its quiet expensive. My question, has anyone attempted to replace the speakers with a component set without using the crossover???? Almost like the plug & play BSW system but i know the wires would need to be modified a little. That way i could replace the speakers and save a few dollars?? Also i was going to add a JL Audio W1 sub and amp. Any ideas, comment, and advice feel free to share!!!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Its on my wish list. Just be prepared to wait 4-6 weeks as they are usually on back order. I have heard nothing but good things about it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't have one personally but i'm a member on another foum and i've heard nothing but good things from people who have the Dynavin.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a Dynavin type head unit, and it is truly a fantastic upgrade from the Business CD player; definitely a must have upgrade for your vehicle.
The configuration of the OEM amplifier makes it a little difficult to just drop in any speaker with good results, but installation of an aftermarket amplifier is not difficult in our cars, given the proximity to the battery. This, in conjunction with a good set of component speakers, will yield superior results over the BSW setup.

Here is the wiring diagram you'll need should go add an amp:
http://bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/tips_pages/E39 speaker color codes (non-DSP).htm

Did you have a particular type of installation in mind for the JL W1? Since you're considering adding an amplifier with this, I'd highly recommend just adding another for your front speakers. Alternatively, you could elect to use a 4 channel amp and run it bridged for the subwoofer, leaving the other two channels available to power your front speakers.

I installed MB Quart QSD213s in front, Focal Access mids in the rear and Kicker Comp VTs in the rear deck (infinite baffle). These are all powered by a Diamond Audio 4 channel amp with an Audiocontrol active line out converter upstream.
You won't need a line out converter if you purchase the Dynavin unit, and replacing the front speakers will yield the greatest benefit by far.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a Dynavin type head unit, and it is truly a fantastic upgrade from the Business CD player; definitely a must have upgrade for your vehicle.
The configuration of the OEM amplifier makes it a little difficult to just drop in any speaker with good results, but installation of an aftermarket amplifier is not difficult in our cars, given the proximity to the battery. This, in conjunction with a good set of component speakers, will yield superior results over the BSW setup.

Here is the wiring diagram you'll need should go add an amp:
http://bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/tips_pages/E39 speaker color codes (non-DSP).htm

Did you have a particular type of installation in mind for the JL W1? Since you're considering adding an amplifier with this, I'd highly recommend just adding another for your front speakers. Alternatively, you could elect to use a 4 channel amp and run it bridged for the subwoofer, leaving the other two channels available to power your front speakers.

I installed MB Quart QSD213s in front, Focal Access mids in the rear and Kicker Comp VTs in the rear deck (infinite baffle). These are all powered by a Diamond Audio 4 channel amp with an Audiocontrol active line out converter upstream.
You won't need a line out converter if you purchase the Dynavin unit, and replacing the front speakers will yield the greatest benefit by far.
Did the MB Quart & Focal Access fit right in the factory locations or was modifications required? I was thinking of running a 2 channel amp to 2 jl Audio W1 subwoofers. In addition to the 2 channel amp for the subs If i went with 2 component sets wired to a separate 4 channel amp for the f & r speakers would I be able to splice the wire running to the front crossovers to add the stock mid-range to the setup as well?? Or will that create a problem with the impedance with the amp?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I have the BSW Stage 1, Infinity Basslink and Dynavin. Great system and huge improvement over the OEM 12 yr old speakers and antique tape.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Did the MB Quart & Focal Access fit right in the factory locations or was modifications required? I was thinking of running a 2 channel amp to 2 jl Audio W1 subwoofers. In addition to the 2 channel amp for the subs If i went with 2 component sets wired to a separate 4 channel amp for the f & r speakers would I be able to splice the wire running to the front crossovers to add the stock mid-range to the setup as well?? Or will that create a problem with the impedance with the amp?
Yes, the MB Quarts did fit exactly into place, and they looked to be the exact same size as the OEM speaker; they were actually designed as drop-in replacements for German cars. The Focals also fit just fine. The mounting depth of the MB Quarts is 2-3/16", and I'd definitely avoid anything much deeper, given the limited room available in our doors.

I tried my setup both with and without the stock midrange, and I ended up disconnecting it entirely, as it only served to muddy the sound stage. Theoretically, you could power the stock midrange with most any amplifier without over driving it (most likely 2 ohm stereo total load), but I wouldn't necessarily recommend this route, especially given that splicing into the crossover inputs would result in the midrange receiving a full-range signal. Even splicing into the crossover outputs would result in redundancy in your frequency range.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts