BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there;

I have been looking for a weekend toy, something fun, fast and 5 speed. I have been coonsidering late 80's 911's, but have struggled to find a good car locally here in San Diego.

Saw an ad for a 98 M3 Cab, and am considering it. One thing that has concerned me about the Porsche is the maintenance costs as well as the somewhat lively rear end of the 911 (spinning out in a turn if you let off on the gas).

Just wondering about thoughts on the two cars. No intention of tracking the car or working on a project.

Question is - for under $20k, a Porsche 911(87-89), and newer M3 or an E36 M3?

Tough choice, but would love to hear some opinions.

Thanks

·
hookersandblow
7,254 Posts
It really depends, the M3 is a great DD as well, and will provide you with endless amounts of fun and personalization/customization. Don't know much about the porsche, but you can find an absolutely excellent e36 M3 for under 15k

·
Really Senior Moments
497 Posts
The old saying goes, all old Porsche's will cost $30K... One way to avoid trailing throttle oversteer, is don't do stupid things while drive, ie: don't jump out of the gas while in a corner...

Parts and especially labor will be a lot more on the P car.

If it's a toy that might include track time, don't get a convertible. Most car clubs won't let a vert on track.

·
Tightrope walking
9,559 Posts
Do you really like convertibles so much that you'd consider getting another one? (Just looking at your "Mein auto") For under $20k, you could get one HELUVA put together E36 M3. A nice 911 is going to run you a bit more. An older Boxster is in your price rage, though...

·
FixItFaster
1,936 Posts
You are asking this to a very biased group FYI.

Don't get a boxter! The G96 engine is a piece of garbage (I don't care how many ponies they can push). I would personally recommend the 88 carrera over the m3 any day. It will give you far less grief, can be used as a DD all year long with little trouble... Not to mention they are much better in wet or snowy conditions (rear weight bias). They are going up in value (where BMW's are always depreciating) so also they are pretty much investments. Seems like a no brainer to me, if you can afford the Porsche get it!

BTW 84-89 Carrera's were and still are the best (IMO) and most reliable street Porsche ever made.

Keep in mind that you get what you pay for, if you are looking at a Carrera for under 20K don't even bother. To find a good Carrera look to spend 20-30K. For a good M3 look to spend 10-15K.

Cliff Notes: M3 is initially the more cost effective choice, but you are likely to run into more issues with a e36 than almost any Porsche (granted it isent a g96 equipped car).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts