BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1998 z-3 with 1.9 inline 4 cyl.
I would like to check power steering fluid level.
There is a shroud covering the whole area above
the unit. How do I get to it without taking the whole
thing apart? Owners manual not very helpful.
Thanks,

·
Registered
767 Posts
If you're talking about the top radiator cover (not the fan shroud), it's only four 10mm bolts that hold it on - two in front, two in the back.

·
BE IRIE
885 Posts
I have the same engine and the power steering reservoir is easily reachable without having to remove anything.

Can you take a photo of what your engine bay looks like.

·
Registered
767 Posts
The external intake for your air intake system is on the passenger side. It then runs up and over the radiator shroud into the silencer/muffler and then into the airbox. The radiator "cover" is not attached to the intake.

Just for clarification - in the first photo, to the far right is the airbox, to the left of that is the muffler/silencer and to the left of that is the "cover" I was referring to.

The I6's are so much easier to reach.

I no longer have the silencer/muffler with my supercharger setup. Hopefully, IgotBMW can shed some light on his technique for getting to the top of the steering reservoir.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
power steering unit

I would agree, the 6cyl is easier to work on than the 4cyl for some bizarre reason.
Thanks for the info on the air induction.

·
BE IRIE
885 Posts
4 cylinder is actually easier to work on. I've worked onthe M54 on my 328i and now the M44 on my Z3.

Prefer the smaller M44.

I'll take a photo of mine when I get home.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I was referring to the fact that the steering fluid reservoir is mounted higher up on the I6. Makes it much easier to get to than on the I4. I almost relocated it when I did hose changes on the reservoir, but decided against it because the SC does not use the normal intake system (its fogged to behind the fog lights), so it's a little easier to get to with those components removed.

·
Registered
767 Posts
In your picture, you're missing the mechanical fan and clutch mounted to the front of the engine, so your access is much easier. It's reachable, just not easily with all the intake stuff in the way.

To OP, if you do Fogg your airbox, you can remove most of what's in your way.

·
BE IRIE
885 Posts
Good to know. Bought car like this.

Was this not factory installed for my year?

Do I need it? What exactly is the mechanical fan for?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Maybe customers complained about overheating in 1996? From 07/1996 on up, there are two fans - one electrical (two speeds) and one mechanical. Some do a mechanical fan delete, so not sure it's totally required.

The fan shroud runs from the radiator to over the mechanical fan - from "A" to "B" (removed in this picture):

·
BE IRIE
885 Posts
Ah yes. Ok now this looks familiar. My M54 from my old 328i had this mechanical fan.

Funny thing is that my build date is 9/96. So wonder why it isn't on there.

Thought this fan prevented overheating so why would having it cause overheating?

Thanks for info and pic.

·
Registered
767 Posts
The early 1996's might have had overheating so the mechanical fan was added. RealOEM.com only mentions that a conversion kit using the fan can be used on 07/1996's and up. So, I'm assuming you could convert if you wanted to.

·
Registered
406 Posts
My 3/96 has both a fan clutch w/ fan, and an electric fan in front of the rad.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My 1.9 M44 has not the viscostatic, but only the electric one.
In BMW said me this was often a modification made by BMW himself before the car's delivery, in order to install AC in that engine, that in most cases came without from germany. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.