BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1999 528 p0600 p1747 codes trans in 3 gear?

40110 Views 21 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  klkillee
Need some help. I have a 1999 528 i sport. Four lights come on the dash: Check engine, ASC ( the console button is not depressed), ABS, and a yellow star off the the right of the dash near the seatbelt light ( I have to look this light up in the owners manual). Now I checked the codes came up with 2 codes the first code is p0600 ( serial comm Link Malfunction) and P1747 ( transmission). What the car is doing is it starts up fine sometimes and goes then all the lights start to come on and the trans shifts into 3 or 4 or 5 gear on take off from a standstill. Anyone know what will give you a Serial comm link malfunction code? Or a transmission code? Is the car running in "safe Mode" if so why would it shift into high gear and stay there? I would really appreciate any help anyone could give. I am not able to find any good sites on problems and remedies with codes. Bringing my car to the dealer is not an option.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
replace this,( tranny speed sensor) we had a car in for the exact same problem.
this is the part number 24151219659
it sits on top of the tranny. not that hard.
get back to me if you need more info.
thanks
Had the same problems

Turned out to be the ABS module on my 99 540i. Getting it fixed at www.modulemasters.com. Apparently the ABS module routes many signals from various parts of the car and can corrupt other codes.

I will let you know if this fixes all these problems.
yone eI have the same problem can anyone help?
Problems with Codes

I had the same problem---Found out I lost not one but two sppeed sensors at the wheels, which took out the ABS control system---Big bucks (I hadn't found this site, yet) It really screws up the trans computer and the ACS. Check the Speed sensors first, as they are the least expensive, and hope you have not damaged the ABS computer. I hope this helps. :rofl:
My 528I is currently in the shop as we speak. have had problems with the Trans also.

They are replacing the speed sensor on the trans as the speedo was not working and it seems to be erratic when tested.

I see in this thread others that this had solved the problem. I also have a problem with the ABS computer. Can this affect the transmission operation?
Yes. The data from the abs/traction module is communicated to the transmission brain
for various purposes (optimizing shift points, preventing shifts when cornering and
many others)
aj290 said:
My 528I is currently in the shop as we speak. have had problems with the Trans also.

They are replacing the speed sensor on the trans as the speedo was not working and it seems to be erratic when tested.

I see in this thread others that this had solved the problem. I also have a problem with the ABS computer. Can this affect the transmission operation?
I just got the car back, they replaced the speed sensor part number 24151219659. Speedo worked for a bit then stopped, still starting in 3rd gear. We get the following codes:

130 signal ,CAN ACS1
217 signal , CAN EGS( OBDII:po600;EUIII:po600)

Chek Engine , Trans,ABS,ASC Lights on.

I am thinking of sending in the ABS control module to be rebuilt as this was the first set of lights that came on a while back. BMW wanted 900 bucks to fix it. Auto Ecu will do it for 289.00. CAn I drive the car without this module??

Also, is it true that you cannot clear all the codes in the computer memory? I was told by my trans guy that in some cases you need to take it back to the dealer to have the codes totally cleared. Thoughts?

From what I am reading in this thread this may be the root of my problems.
Please let me know your thoughts asap.

Thanks
Before you will send module for repair, try to confirm the cause. Perhaps someone
with same MY/equipment car who colud lend the module for a swap.

Theoretically you can but the transmission will go into limp-home mode (stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear) and i would not recommend driving it that way for extended periods.

I am not aware of any error codes that can not be cleared using DIS/MODIC/PEAKE/compatible devices. Even the adaptation values can be erased.
The only exception known to me is AIRBAG module which stores the CRASH signal
permanently and even though it is stored in rewritable memory, you have to reprogram
it using external tools hooked up to the chip.
aj290 said:
I just got the car back, they replaced the speed sensor part number 24151219659. Speedo worked for a bit then stopped, still starting in 3rd gear. We get the following codes:

130 signal ,CAN ACS1
217 signal , CAN EGS( OBDII:po600;EUIII:po600)

Chek Engine , Trans,ABS,ASC Lights on.

I am thinking of sending in the ABS control module to be rebuilt as this was the first set of lights that came on a while back. BMW wanted 900 bucks to fix it. Auto Ecu will do it for 289.00. CAn I drive the car without this module??

Also, is it true that you cannot clear all the codes in the computer memory? I was told by my trans guy that in some cases you need to take it back to the dealer to have the codes totally cleared. Thoughts?

From what I am reading in this thread this may be the root of my problems.
Please let me know your thoughts asap.

Thanks
I believe my trans guy was using a launch X431 tester.

As the car is already in Limp home mode and I don't now of anyone with the same car I may have to bite the bullet and give it a try with the rebuild. I am trying a BMWspecialty shop today to hopefully get some additional information.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks
I got the controller back today, ABS, ASC, Check engine light out. Still have trans and Airbag light on. Trans seems to shift fine ans speedo working.

Does anyone know if the Trans light needs to be reset after you replace the controller?

Also is there anyway to reset the airbag light without taking it to the dealer?
Im in tranny limp mode ,what fixed the problem?

I have a similar problem. What fixed yours?

I have a automatic 1997 528i and I live in Florida.

Recently the "All season traction" AST, light came on in the instrument cluster. When this happens the car does not want to shift past 2nd gear.
This means I can not get on the hiway, or go past 40mph. The RPMs are too high over 40 mph. It's not shifting to 3rd or 4th gear.

This happened once before and it want away within an hour and all was ok. The problem seems to be spuradic.

Is there some sort of sensor that is causing the AST to engage and not allow the car to shift to 3rd or 4th gear.?

Is this a transmission problem?

When the car shifts properly, it runs great.

Please help, this is all new to me.

thanks, John
email: [email protected]
Its the ASC not the AST

ASC put tranny in limp mode
JohnR - how did you fix it?

I have a similar problem. What fixed yours?
This happened to me on my 528 - last night (Aug 1, 2007) I had the same problem as you did last year - I am in Vero Beach and it rained very hard - think I may have slipped the tires, now the ABS lite is on and the car is in limp mode- not shifting well- what happened with yours? How did you fix it?

Any thing would be helpful!

Thanks!

Chuck Correll
[email protected]
Hi guys I got the same problems I have a 1999 528I auto, and here are the codes

Thanks for your help.

I brought it to a mechanic and they say they have to open up the transmission to troubleshoot, they say it is link to the transmission. But looking at the error codes.

P1747 CAN Bus Monitoring (BMW)
P0505 Idle Control System Malfunction
P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction
P0600 Serial Communication Link Malfunction

Is that true. given these error code, where can I find a good indy in NY to fix my problem, I don't wanna take it to BMW and they will take me for a ride. Please help. Is it worth it to repair it or just even selling the car.

HELP me should I give up and sell the car or 2 grand at most will fix this problem.
Could this be a common problem for the E39 as they age. If so I'm thinking poor computer firmware of this make

Attachments

I just took my 1998 528i for a little drive in the country and hit the accelerator on a gravel road which must have activated the ASC (automatic stability control) system. I noticed soon afterward that not only was the ASC light still on, but I was now operating in "limp mode" and could get into 3rd or 4th gear. What is my best course of action?
Yes, I have the same problem, u need to change INSTRUMENT CLUSTER.

................................................................................
Need some help. I have a 1999 528 i sport. Four lights come on the dash: Check engine, ASC ( the console button is not depressed), ABS, and a yellow star off the the right of the dash near the seatbelt light ( I have to look this light up in the owners manual). Now I checked the codes came up with 2 codes the first code is p0600 ( serial comm Link Malfunction) and P1747 ( transmission). What the car is doing is it starts up fine sometimes and goes then all the lights start to come on and the trans shifts into 3 or 4 or 5 gear on take off from a standstill. Anyone know what will give you a Serial comm link malfunction code? Or a transmission code? Is the car running in "safe Mode" if so why would it shift into high gear and stay there? I would really appreciate any help anyone could give. I am not able to find any good sites on problems and remedies with codes. Bringing my car to the dealer is not an option.
There are alot of different answers to this thread so far... So many that it is becoming useless.......

Common causes of said problems have been:
Speed sensors
ABS Module

IN most cases when the speedo goes then the cruise is not working either.. If that is the case with you, then you are def looking at an ABS Module repair/replacment....

The speed sensor failure usually makes the ABS and ASC lights stay on.. When that is happening, the car believes the wheels are not spinning at the same speed and is using the tranny to compensate....
i tried the sensor and it was not it . i think it might b the abs module. i unplug the abs module and it gos away what should ido to take the tranny out of limp mode
Bump on an old thread.

Im getting the same problems with my car. Car will start off normal, with a check engine light. After taking the car for a spin, a few minutes later the "Trans-fail Safe mode"(limp mode) triggers. I get the CEL, ABS, ASC Triangle light, and the Trans-fail safe mode light. When this mode triggers, the car is stuck on 4th/5th gear from the getgo. This mode wont turn off until the car is turned off, thereafter the car will continue to do this as a routine. What can trigger this? Is my ABS module going bad? What should I aim for while troubleshooting this problem? My codes are; P0600 & p1747. I need help!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.